Gems Landfill

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
?

"But because of a drastic reduction in habitat and a change in the climate, about 70 percent of the species is now found exclusively in South Jersey."

Can someone please explain this line to me? I am a little bit confused, and I don't mean to sound ugly, because I really love seeing this plant and have lots of photos of it. The premise here is that the Swamp Pink is growing on a toxic landfill (now THAT should raise EVERYONE's eyebrows) because there's no where else for it to go due to loss of habitat except landfill caps, and South Jersey just happens to be a little island completely insulated (no pun intended, i.e., Owens-Corning Fiberglass) from the effects of climate change??? Is this good science, with research to back up such claims about this plant, well, especially as it relates to climate change? I can understand habitat loss. Maybe we should transplant them to landfill caps to sustain the species? But a 1 degree increase in temperatures are affecting this plant so drastically, and how come it's not affected in SNJ?