Gene Autry

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks! As Gene Autry would say: "I'm back in the saddle again".

(moderator note: this and the following posts were split from a thread on an unrelated topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Found this old sheet music in a junk store long ago and put it on the wall in the bathroom where it's slowly disintegrated over the years from the humidity. :D

IMG_9782.jpg

Last edited:

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Reactions: M1 Abrams

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Bob. Here's a 1950 tune by Gene that will keep hoppin'. For extra credit, who is the cowboy in the plaid shirt right at the start of the video.

Good stuff Ron. You likely saw him in his prime, right? I can't figure out the cowboy in the checkered shirt. I watched it 3 times but it's not coming to me.

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
When I hear the name Gene Autry, I automatically start thinking about Pickett Russell of Pic-A-Lilli fame. Pickett bore a strong resemblance to Gene Autry. The two of them wound up meeting each other and becoming friends.

Here is an old story from Atlantic City Weekly that mentions the Autry/Russell connection:

The Pic-A-Lilli Inn -- now famous for its wings -- has a storied past

For some reason, my anti-malware program kept warning me about using the link from geneautry.com. I'm assuming it was a false positive. I came across the Peter Cottontail clip on another site...and no, I didn't recognize the man in the checkered shirt either. I cheated by checking on IMDB, but I won't reveal his identity. I didn't recognize the name at first, but then recalled seeing and enjoying his work on an old television series.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
If I’m correct, that man in the plaid shirt is Pat Buttram, Gene Autry’s sidekick. He was character actor and comic. Gene Autry had his own TV show back in the early 1950’s that ran for about 5 years. I was between 5 and 10 years old at the time.

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
f I’m correct, that man in the plaid shirt is Pat Buttram, Gene Autry’s sidekick. He was character actor and comic. Gene Autry had his own TV show back in the early 1950’s that ran for about 5 years. I was between 5 and 10 years old at the time.

Yep, that's the man. I remember him playing Mr. Haney, the genial country huckster/con man on Green Acres. That was back in my early TV viewing days. I was seven years old when that program first aired.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Don't want to spoil the fun, so just a note that I've split these posts off from the boydsmaps forum into a new thread in the General Discussion forum.

As John McClain said in Die Hard... "I was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really like those sequined shirts."

:D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yep, that's the man. I remember him playing Mr. Haney, the genial country huckster/con man on Green Acres. That was back in my early TV viewing days. I was seven years old when that program first aired.
I loved Mr. Haney. One of those actors that was so good, he didn't seem like he was acting. Another good one like that was the county farm agent on the same series.