Geocaching en masse; a bad idea?

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Although I have been reluctant to speak on the topic, the geocaching thing is definately a bad thing since they tend to provide coordinates to important places without concern of the result. The technology basically allows a person with no knowledge or understanding of the pines the ability to go directly to the sensitive areas. I believe if the same person was somewhat interested and had to travel somewhat aimlessly throughout the pines for some period of time that a sense of respect (in most cases) would develop The GPS equipment has made an Atari game out of exploring. I have to say that the Bush cabinet's idea of taking away GPS might be the only part of the loss of freeedom that might become an anomalous lucky strike in an otherwise stream of loss that could actually benefit the preservation of the remants in the Pines.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
jokerman said:
I have to say that the Bush cabinet's idea of taking away GPS might be the only part of the loss of freeedom that might become an anomalous lucky strike

I thought he was just discussing the possibility of temporarily shutting down GPS in the event of national emergency, not "taking it away"...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
I thought he was just discussing the possibility of temporarily shutting down GPS in the event of national emergency, not "taking it away"...

You are correct.

Guy

BobM said:
I am starting to get a bad taste in my mouth over geocaching. I think given the amount of people swarming over some of the pine's most famous historical sites, little will be left in the coming years.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...b2-df9c-43f3-8f3b-6bf75a3b5636&log=y&decrypt=

I see it as a double edged sword. Yes it brings high traffic to some sensitive spots but it also can spark a love and respect of the Pines. It was geocaching that got KenDawg into the Pines. He spends less time geocaching now and more time exploring and learning it's history. The few geocachers that I've met seem to have nothing but respect for the Pines. There are some idiots out there though as KenDawg can attest to.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
I see it as a double edged sword. Yes it brings high traffic to some sensitive spots but it also can spark a love and respect of the Pines. It was geocaching that got KenDawg into the Pines. He spends less time geocaching now and more time exploring and learning it's history. The few geocachers that I've met seem to have nothing but respect for the Pines. There are some idiots out there though as KenDawg can attest to.

Steve

True. But it only takes one idiot........

Also, Bob...you are bad :) :) :) :)

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The person who started this cache is/was a member here, and I believe an active member at Renee's site.

I don't like it either. Then again if you check the logs for this cache, pretty much only one person per month shows up there.

Heh, and Hermann City is where I met Guy for the first time! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
The person who started this cache is/was a member here, and I believe an active member at Renee's site.

I don't like it either. Then again if you check the logs for this cache, pretty much only one person per month shows up there.

Heh, and Hermann City is where I met Guy for the first time! :)

It sure was! :) See what trash can do. I remember many of our conversations that day, and they are timeless. The same discussions we had together then still go on, but on a more serious scale today unfortuantly. :(

It was a good day, and I am glad we met. It would be interesting to know what it would be like if we had not met up that day. Life is strange.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
It sure was! :) See what trash can do. I remember many of our conversations that day, and they are timeless. The same discussions we had together then still go on, but on a more serious scale today unfortuantly. :(
Guy

You've got me curious. What were the conversations about?