Getting Away

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I apologize to everyone who wrote me the past week for not answering properly. I was on vacation and was at the far reaches of the wireless internet connection and things were slow. I was limited on the time I could spend online, and I did not have my computer. In any event, here are a few photo’s from our time away. I will try to keep it as close as possible to a pine barren adventure :)

I roamed around my relatives property in Vermont and took photo’s of the wild flowers and weeds, many of them invasive.

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2458a.jpg

IMG_2543.JPG

Jennifer

IMG_2447.JPG

On a back road

IMG_2446a.jpg

Visited a place I hiked to with my dad and brother in 1967.

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

We were there alone from Sunday night on. Might as well use my relatives porch :)

IMG_2505.JPG

And there has been evidence for years that there was a benchmark on his property, but I could never find it. However, this time I did. It is an Azimuth mark so I am certain there are others around. Next time :)

IMG_2506.JPG

It rained basically all week there, and on our way home one evening we saw this in the distance close to the house. It really is just clouds that reach the ground.

IMG_2512.JPG

Our humble abode. We stayed in the building on the right.

IMG_2524.JPG

It has rained so much up there, and the weather has been cool, that the corn is not growing. The farmers are in a panic and the list of farm failures in the last month is alarming.

IMG_2538.JPG

Jessica caught a penny fish on the train tracks :)

IMG_2541.JPG

My favorite place to photograph.

IMG_2546.JPG

May pond

IMG_2558.JPG

Jessica found this bug.

IMG_2563.JPG

Simpson’s Sky for basically the first time............ yesterday.

IMG_2572.JPG

The town was the industrial town of the area, and the remains of the sewing machine factory can still be found on a path hidden in the woods near the main section of town. This shows the ruins of the building and one of the belt driven pulley which worked just like a sawmill.

IMG_2591.JPG

We took a ride before packing up for the week and this rainbow was still visible here an hour after we saw it from home.

IMG_2617.JPG

And finally, a video. Picture yourself along the Jersey Central RR in years gone by waiting for the train to pass. You put your ear to the track as I did, and listened for any sound you could. In the distance you hear it coming and then this.....

Give it time to load, it is 30MB.

http://home.comcast.net/~teegate1/07102009/Train1.mov

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like you all had a great vacation, great pics, and to top it all off an azimuth mark, thanks for posting and sharing.

Jim

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com

Looks like you found an interesting area to explore, Guy, complete with golden sunset and silver moonrise. The Azimuth discovery tells me you had a good time. :) Your "weeds" are beautiful, and your bug steals the show, in my opinion. What an elegant blue for such a hungry fellow!

. . . I've never seen a penny fish before, much less caught one . . . Loved the train sounds--thanks for the ride!

Glo

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Jess' bug looks as rusty as your belt pulley behind the old factory! Great photos. It's obvious you are enjoying your camera. Can't beat the color in #3... I love that vacations offer us the opportunity to see something new and allow us to come back with a fresh vision of the familiar.....

Turtle

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Guy great pictures as allways, glad you had a good time in VT. I returned from my camping trip in VT on july first, I had a good time, caught some Brook trout, hung out with my family but it rained at least a little every day. Even with the rain it was a good time and a good break from 2 months of 70 hour work weeks.

The picture of the cemetary over looking the lake, Looks like lake Willoughby. My moms friend used to own cabins across the street from the lake and we used to spend some time there in the summer.

The older I get the more I miss my home state of Vermont. My dream one day is to own a place in the pines and a place in the Green mountains.

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy great pictures as allways, glad you had a good time in VT. I returned from my camping trip in VT on july first, I had a good time, caught some Brook trout, hung out with my family but it rained at least a little every day. Even with the rain it was a good time and a good break from 2 months of 70 hour work weeks.

The picture of the cemetary over looking the lake, Looks like lake Willoughby. My moms friend used to own cabins across the street from the lake and we used to spend some time there in the summer.

The older I get the more I miss my home state of Vermont. My dream one day is to own a place in the pines and a place in the Green mountains.

Chris

Chris,

You are correct, it is Lake Willoughby. It is a 15 minute ride from my relatives home.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
My mom has a house in Westfield which is not far from Willoughby. I love it up there in the summer and the fall but winter is brutal. I will be up that way come November for deer season. I Can not wait!

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were in Lowell on Thursday. That is just a few miles from Westfield.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I think I may hunt this year near lowell/hazens notch area, off from the section of 58 they close in the winter, up on Belvidere mnt. .

The big bull moose I told you that I saw up in Vermont was in Lowell where 100 meets 58.

Did you see any moose this year?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have only seen that one bull moose. Even with spending 8 days a year in november every year since I was 10 from dark to dark deer hunting I have not seen many. I have seen their sign in the woods but never them. My family that live in Vermont all year only see them once in awhile.

Chris

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Just beautiful, Guy. You're really developing an eye. I lived in New Hampshire for a few years, as well as in Rhode Island, and I have spent a ton of time in Vermont. Your photos really bring back memories. That cloud pic is striking. Must have been a powerful down draft. I bet if you had been in the vicinity you would have felt the temperature drop 5 or 10 degrees.