Glass at Batsto

Aug 6, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I went to Batsto yesterday, and the hurricane a few months apparently flooded some of the ground and washed up old glass from the glass factory that once stood on the site there. Between the old sawmill building and where the factory once stood is where to look for the glass. Little pieces are all over. I took a couple and one of the park employees was actually encouraging people to take some of the glass. Production of the glass stopped in 1867 so you know the glass is pretty old, which makes it fun to collect.

NealS

May 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
My wife and I were walking around before noon on Saturday. She found a few bits of a pale blue glass in the dirt by the stables. I thought it might be modern. Didn't even think about the flooding.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
One possibility, if the glass looked modern, is a type of commonly used fill material that contains ground up recycled construction or demolition debris. It is mostly concrete and asphalt but I’ve seen glass in it too. It often goes by the name “R-blend”. I despise its use in natural or historic areas but its price makes the bean counters happy.

NealS

May 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
I think I dismissed it not so much because it looked modern, but because it came off the top of the dirt in a high foot traffic area. My wife actually asked me if it was potentially from the glass factory and my thought was immediately that anything on the surface so close to the visitor's center had to be trash.

I'm pretty sure she put it in her pocket and kept it. I'll have to ask her in the morning.