Gloucester County Stag Club Has Been Acquired

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I recently learned that the Gloucester County Gun (Stag) Club across Quaker Bridge Road from the Atsion church went up for tax sale and the new owner is the man who owns the cat house behind it. It was acquired for $15,000. That property is a 100 feet by 148 feet rectangle. You may remember in a previous post that inside the gun club building itself is the last remaining workers house from the iron era.

The new owner is changing the name of the place and it will now be called the Wesickaman Lodge ....the name taken from the local creek nearby. It will be used as a meeting house for the Piney Lenape community which I believe is an American Indian group.

Guy

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
IMG_7875 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Yes Bob, they plan to use it as a basketry studio (weaving baskets) The oldest house in Shamong is just down the road on Atsion road. Its a house built around a house. The inside foundation has a date of 1798. Was bought from the Atsion Property

Last edited:
Reactions: cudgel and bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
All,

I recently learned that the Gloucester County Gun (Stag) Club across Quaker Bridge Road from the Atsion church went up for tax sale and the new owner is the man who owns the cat house behind it. It was acquired for $15,000. That property is a 100 feet by 148 feet rectangle. You may remember in a previous post that inside the gun club building itself is the last remaining workers house from the iron era.

The new owner is changing the name of the place and it will now be called the Wesickaman Lodge ....the name taken from the local creek nearby. It will be used as a meeting house for the Piney Lenape community which I believe is an American Indian group.

Guy
The last Lenape in NJ was "Indian Mary" she died on the Brotherton reservation I think almost 200 years ago. Have some came back from Oklahoma?

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Al, are you thinking of Indian Ann Roberts, nee Ann Ashatama, the last full-blooded Delaware Indian in New Jersey. Although she wasn't born until around 1805 about 3 years after the Brotherton Indians moved to New York, her father, Elisha Ashatama was a Brotherton Indian. Indian Ann was known for her basket weaving, she died in December of 1894. She owned a house on Dingletown Road (Fork Neck Rd today) in Shamong. Her house burned down in the 1950s.

They have not come back from Oklahoma, some of the Brotherton Indians did not go to New York, they married whites and never left the area.

Reactions: cudgel

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Many people are often surprised to find out that some bands of Lenape ended up in many different places than Oklahoma. Sure the main body of the tribe ended up in Notheastern Oklahoma, along with a seperate splinter of them in Western Oklahoma, however some ended up in Canada of all places. There are three different communities of Lenape there in Ontario Province, two of which, Moraviantown and Munseetown, have their own Reserves, while the Delaware community of Six Nations is very tiny and resides on Six Nations Reserve as a part of their tribal nation.

Then there are also the four documented communities of Lenape ancestry that remained here in New Jersey. The Ramapough from Bergen & Passaic Counties, the Sandhills originally from Monmouth county but now dispersed, the Nanticoke Lenape from Cumberland and Salem Counties, and last but not least the Piney Lenape who are spread all over South Jersey. There were scattered Lenape who never lived on the Brotherton Reservation. These were most of the ancestors of these communities, who all mixed in with the non Native population to different degrees. Some individuals do have ties to Brotherton however. Though all of our communities have common connections and some shared historical documentaction, we have divergent histories, So I can only speak on behalf of the Piney Lenape. There have always been old families here in South Jersey with Lenape ancestry. This has always been a deep connection for us to this land and for some of us, like myself, we want to see that connection continue into the future. The Piney Lenape are the people with Lenape ancestry from the Pines. As we like to say, the Lenape were the first Pineys, lol. The Pines are important to us and we want to see the Pines remain the wild and wonderful place it is just as everyone else. Sorry for the long history response.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I work with quite a few Gouldtowners,Mostly Pierce,Greens and Ridgeways.
My 9th gr Grandmother was listed in the 1790 census as Cherokee from ne KY. I wouldn't claim that makes me Indian though.
The ebook below gives a bit of a different story.It does acknowledge a bit of Indian in the Gouldtowners from a Murray from cape May county though not sure if he was Lenape. Mostly black and white mix according to the author.I believe the book is over a hundred years old so a bit closer to the story then we are now.

Attachments

• Gouldtown_a_Very_Remarkable_Settlement_o.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 2,590

cudgel

Mar 5, 2013
Mount Holly
Here's a good reference to the mixed Native communities here in Jersey.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160928-212917.png
    Screenshot_20160928-212917.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 224

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Her name was Elizabeth Moore,Common law wife to Richard Thompson.He first married her sister Margaret Barr also listed as Cherokee but she died and then He shacked up with her younger sister.I cannot find out for sure but Moore seems to be her original name and Margaret must have been married previously to have acquired the name Barr.I believe they may have been from the old settlement of Cherokee which can still be found on some old maps of the area where my family are from. My gr grandmother Anna Wright had a sister Mary Wright who married a Tony castle.I have pics of Mary and Tony.He looks Indian.High Cheek bones,black eyes and the arched nose.The Castles were noted to be cherokee and there is a red grave stone in the Sparks Lawson cemetery inscribed Indian Joe Castle who lived with my GR Gr Gr grandfather for years Hugh Sparks .I don't know if they were some how related are just friends. I"m also related to Webbs and the family is from the same area as Loretta Lynn who was a Webb and she claims to have been part Cherokee as well.Her Grandfather was a Raney so I wonder if He was from the same Cherokee settlement???