GMRS / FRS Radios and their range

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Behr & Kendawg,

When we were on the FR mountain, I assume that when we were hearing people talk about golf over the radios that we were hearing them from the Pine Barrens Golf Course.

Well, the course is in Jackson, which would put it at least 7 miles away. Not bad range.

My radio has an adjustable power setting - I can send in HI, MED, or LOW power on the GMRS frequencies, and the FRS frequencies that are shared with the GMRS spectrum.

The only issue is that legally you need an FCC licence to transmit on GMRS. Since it's only $150 or so, I will most likely apply for it.

Ben.

Just like our cell phones, we were getting excellent reception on top of FRM. Thats not always the case though. On one trip out KenDawg and I were only about 1 mile apart and we could not reach each other with our radios. I have a seven mile range and Ken's is five miles. It happens that Ken's radio had low batteries so this may have been the problem.
Is it really necessary to get a license for these radios? I would think that one would only be required for a CB radio since they have a much longer range.

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, to use the GMRS frequencies, yes. The FRS spectrum, no. Ken only has a FRS radio - ours are GMRS/FRS radios.

Channels 1-7 are dual band channels. They're both FRS and GMRS frequencies.
Channels 8-14 are FRS only.
Channels 15-22 are GMRS only.

If you have a FRS radio, you will only have 14 channels. If you have a GMRS radio, you will have 15 channels, excluding the FRS frequencies. (eg: Channel 15 on a GMRS only radio is channel 22 on a dual band radio)

The FCC does licence the spectrum. I would only licence myself out of respect for others who have licenced themselves. It's just the right thing to do, IMHO.