Godfrey's Bridge

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't understand this statement within. Can anyone interpret for me?

"Godfrey Bridge Road, Bridges over West Branch of Wading River are two independent structures (Structures No. 3845- 166 and 3845-167) with a 31-foot-long section of roadway built on fill between them."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is two separate bridges with dirt between them as the article mentions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This photo is on the dirt paved section in the middle looking back towards the campground. That is the smaller bridge ahead.

g1.jpg

And turning around looking away from the campground looking at the bigger bridge.

g2.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks I never realized that. Every time I think of that bridge I see myself driving over it with a really nice girl when I was about 24 in my jeep with the top off. I had Tenessee Jed from the Dead playing on the stereo. Great times.

Reactions: MuckSavage

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
The transcript makes it obvious that the bridge(s) need to be replaced, but it doesn’t address the other problems with the paved road leading to the bridge which many of the local residents are requesting to be fixed as well. Maybe that’s another project.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I was over there yesterday. It really does not look to be in great shape. After I saw the condition of those supports I thought: "Should I really be driving back over this thing?"
A7409202.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of bridges, it always surprises me how long they take to construct. How long has that one in Medford on Jackson Road been out, it has to have been a full year now. I never walked up the road to look at it. This one over the wading will be started int he fall of 2025, but not completed until the Summer in 2026? The final design will start this winter but not be completed for almost 3 years (just the design)? The one over Lacey Road in Bamber was out 3 times when I lived there. On one of the rebuilds they pulled out the footbridge at the dam and set a military style steel span so we could get to our jobs. We had to use that thing for months.

Look at the second paragraph at this link. A mistake?

Also, watch the video, the aesthetic touches they are proposing seem unworkable to me. See below. Well, maybe the upper right would work.

1670334654440.png

Last edited:
Reactions: stiltzkin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No doubt the environmental and safety reviews have gotten more involved and time-consuming. I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally I don't think that's a bad thing.

Not sure what mistake you're seeing, but I never realized PPA meant "Preliminary Preferred Alternative". :D

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Not sure what mistake you're seeing, but I never realized PPA meant "Preliminary Preferred Alternative". :D

This part is pretty hilarious:

During construction, one southbound lane will remain open on the bridge, and Route 29 northbound traffic will be detoured.

Someone got a little overzealous with the copy and paste.

Reactions: Boyd