golden eagle

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
we were just comming back from a hike (outdoor club of south jersey) from burlington co./atlantic co. marker #60.

when we got back to the trailer at the boggs on daves rd. (1.7 miles south of Atsion on left) we saw a large bird in the trees in the wooded swamp area next to the boggs about 75 yards away.

upon many of us using binoxuars we determined it was not a bald eagle, but a golden eagle

golden eagles are sort of rare in this area. has anybody seen any in the south jersey area ?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
onehand said:
we were just comming back from a hike (outdoor club of south jersey) from burlington co./atlantic co. marker #60.

when we got back to the trailer at the boggs on daves rd. (1.7 miles south of Atsion on left) we saw a large bird in the trees in the wooded swamp area next to the boggs about 75 yards away.

upon many of us using binoxuars we determined it was not a bald eagle, but a golden eagle

golden eagles are sort of rare in this area. has anybody seen any in the south jersey area ?

Abso-damn-lutely! In '60 or '61 saw one by definitive sighting (shape of bill, dark eye, light hackels, and all this close-up) near Batstow - and within a short time got a great close-up view of an immy (1st year) bald (more massive, yellow beak with its characteristic parallel dorsal and ventral contour for a short distance as it projects from the "face"). It was a great "teaching moment" 'cause my promised bride was along and eager to get good at raptor I.D. I'm pretty sure I've seen another and maybe two more, but the sightings were all less-than-optimal and I must admit that they all could conceivably have been immy balds.
Dave

onehand said:

A very rare sighting indeed. Very rare but not unheard of.
If it looked like the photo below though it could have been a third year Bald Eagle. Did you see it soar? Note how eagles keep their wings in line with their body when they soar. Other large birds of prey will have their wings raised like a Turkey Vulture.

46944258-M.jpg

Steve

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
did not see it soar, it was sitin in a dead tree, dark brown body and light brown neck and head, just like the golden eagle pic i found on the web...lets say it was an eagle of some kind

over the last ten years i have seen many bald eagles including imature ones of different ages and they did not look quite the same as one i saw wednesday