Gone Too Long

Pine Rat Hunter

Oct 1, 2008
I've been checking out this forum for over a year now and the more I read the more homesick I become. I left my beloved pines back in 1990 to join the Navy and I have traveled around the world. Still I have not found anything that comes close or has the same feeling that the pines has when I am in them. I was stationed in Norfolk, rode ships out of this port and eventually settled down there due to my profession. I make it a point to go home once a year to visit and bowhunt. During that short time I cannot but help think how great it was to grow up there and how lucky I was to have the woods to myself. The area that I live in in virginia sucks and there are limited hunting and outdoor activities due to more people and over regulation. Over the years when visiting I did notice quite a few changes at home but nowhere near the uncontrolled buildup of this area. You should take advantage and appreciate what you have, I would have more if I only knew how good I had it.
Anybody seen any nice bucks this year?

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
PRH, I was in the Navy stationed in Virginia Beach a long time ago. There is an area not far from you out interstate 64 that has some of the most breathtaking scenery. Blue Ridge/ Shennandoah, West Virginia. I am going there to ride my Harley later this month. I go once a year with some friends from here and some locals. The pines are rapidly being decimated IMHO.
Tom

Pine Rat Hunter

Oct 1, 2008
PRH, I was in the Navy stationed in Virginia Beach a long time ago. There is an area not far from you out interstate 64 that has some of the most breathtaking scenery. Blue Ridge/ Shennandoah, West Virginia. I am going there to ride my Harley later this month. I go once a year with some friends from here and some locals. The pines are rapidly being decimated IMHO.
Tom

I can see that things have changed since I left, mostly for the worse. What can you do? Too many people, some of which don't belong here and greedy to make a quick buck clearing and building just because they can.
I do travel the blue ridge area and have friends that live in the sticks there. Same problems there too with outside purchasers that want to indiscrimnately develop. Don't get me wrong I do believe in progress but not at the pace that has been set.

Jeff......