Good Day In The Deer Woods

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Beautiful day in the woods today.
I was in my climber by 6:30 a.m. on a crisp silent morning along Great Swamp Branch.
As soon as I hoisted my gun into the tree, I could hear the steady cadence of deer on dry leaves coming toward me. I never even sat down. My knees were knocking waiting to get a glimpse of the deer.
They really took their time getting to me and by 7, I had two ready to cross in front of me.
I waited until they crossed a dirt road and let them get a little behind me. The wind was very light and in my favor.
I took a nice 3 pointer with one shot and was dragging by 7:15. Check out my gallery photos.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10177&pos=-3634
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10177&pos=-3634
As I was leaving around 8, the first club was lining up the piece.
I just smiled and waved.
The deer weighs about 80 lbs which ain't bad for the pines.
I went out later to another area with my son, who is going to hunt next week and we bumped into Teegate and his daughter along Albertson Branch.
A good day to be roaming the pines.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

It was nice seeing you again today, and your son, especially when you just popped out of the the woods coming from where I had just been.

Congrats on your catch!

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Good for you Scott !!
Today was just too beautiful !!!
I was on the Iron Mills bridge about 8:00. Didn't want to go but too many of you hunter dudes out there for my safety sake.
Like a boob I wasn't wearing any colors !!
Days like today make it don't they.

G.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
George
On our side of White Bridge the only thing in is winter bow.
The turf farm side of Albertson is the shotgun permit area that's in until 1-31-06.
You probably saw Wagon Wheel in there.
Scott

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Gee, I was in the Poconos w/ my flintlock...around 2 inches of melted & re-frozen snow...12 degrees...all you could hear was the reverberation of the Crunch...Crunch when I walked...at 08:30 I was heading back to the cabin w/ an armfull of wood to melt the icecicles in my 'stash...

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
nice buck, about 1 1/2 years old? best eating deer in the woods. I harvested my heaveist deer in the pines on doe day in zone 21, dressed weight of 90 lbs. it had one white ear, maybe a little piebald? I also harvested a 50 lbs. spike on the second day of shotgun, right after that snow storm cleared out. theres nothing like being in the pines right after a snow. it was the eigth deer I had feed by me in about 45 min. that afternoon. very good eating. congrats. every days a good day hunting in the pines.