Good maps?

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the little Wharton pocket maps that you can get at places like the Batsto visitor's center are wildly inaccurate? I tried to use one this weekend to chart my progress while following the old train tracks from Chatsworth to Atsion, and I was coming to landmarks out of order, the scale seemed off, and (as I knew already) it lacked detail.

Does anybody know where I can get decent, accurate hiking maps?

rblanda

Explorer
Feb 6, 2003
Winslow, NJ
www.eblanda.com
Marilyn Schmidt has a book with an accompanying map "Discovering the Pine Barrens" She is at the Buzby house in Chatsworth. Give her a ring. There is a secion on this site all about her.

It's pretty accurate, and it's made for what you're trying to do.

Tell her I sent you!

Robert Blanda
Founder
Pine Barrens Enthusiasts
info@eblanda.com
www.eblanda.com

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I have Marilyn's map of the Pine Barrens. It's very good, except it has one mistake on it (I can't remember what it is now though. I guess you would know it when you saw it.)
I always recommend the USGS Survey maps and the maps of each county, put out by Alfred B. Patton. Patton maps are available at Rite Aid, Borders, Amazon.com (I think), and through their own site online. Patton's county maps, in conjunction with the USGS Survey maps, are really great. Of course the USGS Survey maps are better to hike with because they have greater detail, plus they have elevation markings. I love my maps and they are well used.
Actually, Marilyn's Pine Barrens map is a Patton map of South Jersey with all the Pine Barrens boundaries and the ghost town names drawn in. It's great to take with you wherever you go in the Pine Barrens.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used the maps at the link below when I explored and they were very good. You want Atlas sheet #32. It say's that #33 is out of print, but a blue line copy is available.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/pricelst/njgsmaps.htm#cd

If you are in the Marlton area, just North of the Marlton circle in the shopping center with the Friday's restaurant is a map store. They have all kinds of maps of the pines.

Guy

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
You can get almost every topographic map on the Pines put out by the USGS at the park headquarters at Lebanon State Forest. And the price is ridiculously cheap, about $4.00 each.