Good Overview of The Pine Barrens

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
In my search for a good map of the Pine Barrens, I came across this excellent article which discusses how water formed under the Pine Barrens and what it means today, how fire helps regulate the ecology of the Pine Barrens, the plant and animal life of the Pine Barrens, and the different vegetation types and geology. Not cold scientific facts, the article also interprets the area as would an artist.

http://www.enature.com/habitats/show_sublifezone.asp?sublifezoneID=15

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

A very interesting article, showing some benefits of fire. Thanks for pointing it out.

I remember reading somewhere that certain pine trees, especially I believe the pines native to the plains, do not release their seeds from the cones until burned. I may have read that online so I will try to search that out.

Guy

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
As far as I know, the cones of Pitch Pines can be that way, not opening and releasing seeds till fire comes. The term is "serotinous". But it's not every tree, just some individuals. I know it's not EVERY Pitch Pine that is that way because I see, on some trees, thousands of open cones, where there have not been any fires in my memory.
I found that article to been very interesting. None of the material was really new to me, but it was good to see it on a non-Pine Barrens site where the general public might read it.