Google Earth Panoramio Layer Gone!

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I used to spend hours at a time scouring Google Earth's geotagged photos. In the past few days it seems they ended the service and apparently most of them are now lost forever, unless the poster manually transferred them to the newer, inferior Google Map Photos. What a shame, such a great resource now gone, likely because they couldn't figure out a way to get any ad revenue from it. I never posted to Panoramio but always loved the local photos posted, especially those of Chris Sanfino. Never met the guy but his photography is top notch, and his travels seem to have paralleled my own.

T

Toothy Critter

I liked the old photos too because I used them as a tool to scout possible fishing spots. Find the new round blotches annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Teegate

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Panoramio was closed to new posting a while ago, but the photos on it disappeared from Google Earth in the past week or less. At least that's how it was from my end! That program gave me endless hours of entertainment on nasty winter days.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'll bet Boyd and Ben could make a similar thing here for posting photos on an aerial by just forum members.

I'm just say'n. I do realize it would take servers and time.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Yeah, the new photos layer sucks. I've started uploading some of my pictures but they make it a pain to geotag them if there isn't already a designated place name on the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib...17811,-74.743581,11.05z/data=!4m3!8m2!3m1!1e1

Next time the weather is too bad to be outside I'll invest some time into adding more.
For some reason mine show up on the browser based maps, but not the standalone application.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't think it would be so hard to do this, all you need is photo gallery software that supports geotagging. A quick Google search found several of these. But remember, Ben got rid of the gallery at NJPB because he didn't want to be a photo hosting site, so I sort of doubt he wants to get into this.