Google Earth ?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Did the regular GE morph into GE Pro? I found Pro on my system and the regular one gone. I do not remember getting it. Works just fine with all I had saved in the old one.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A couple years ago Google made the pro version free and I installed it on my Windows machine at that time. I really have no interest in that software, but I did open it about a week ago to test a file that I sent to someone, and it still worked.

Don't know about the regular version. Many, years ago I recall getting an e-mail from Google that they were discontinuing the standalone Mac version. IIRC, they said they were changing to a browser-based version. Since I never used it anyway I didn't bother to follow up.

Here's an old thread: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/google-earth-pro-is-now-free.10371/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Mac version is not Pro as far as I can tell. Mine is the same as it always was. The standalone Mac version is still around and that is what I use. I have found Google Earth to be a great program after using it as my main stone program for the past 5 years or so. It really works well for that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I did some looking; no more regular version for IE, just Pro but no fee under 'Older Versions' at the link. They are pushing a new web based version in Chrome. I had auto updates, so that's where it probably came from.

https://www.google.com/earth/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My Google Earth just turned Pro. Yesterday it was not that way so it did do it automatically.

Reactions: 46er

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Answers to all your questions, posted on their site a few hours ago. :)

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/hk-NFqEfHrg

Questions and answers about the Google Earth Pro 7.3.0 update

Q: I had Google Earth "Free" installed, why was I auto-updated to Google Earth Pro?

A: Google Earth "Free" and "Pro" are now one and the same product, and you were updated to the latest (and only) version of the Google Earth desktop software product.

Q: I don't remember agreeing to this?
A: When you installed Google Earth, you agreed to the Google Earth Additional Terms Of Service, including the Google Terms Of Service, which state, under "About Software in our Services": "When a Service requires or includes downloadable software, this software may update automatically on your device once a new version or feature is available."

Q: But why?

A: Up-to-date client software is essential not only for maintaining the health of Google's services, but more importantly to best protect the security and privacy of our users.

Q: Do I or will I have to pay to use Google Earth Pro?

A: No. Google Earth Pro has been absolutely free to download and use since our announcement in January, 2015.

Q: What happens to "My Places" when upgrading to Google Earth Pro?

A: "My Places" is shared between all installations of Google Earth, so your "My Places" will appear in Google Earth Pro, untouched.

Q: What happens to user preferences and settings when upgrading to Google Earth Pro?

A: Google Earth Pro will use the default settings (*); you will need to update your settings and preferences manually.

Q: What if I don't want Google Earth Pro?

A: Earth Pro includes all of the features in Earth "Free", and is priced the same (i.e., free).

Q: Okay but I really don't want Google Earth Pro.

A: If you don't need the functionality offered by Google Earth Pro, you may wish to try the new Google Earth for Web browsers.

Q: Will older versions of Google Earth / Google Earth Pro still be supported?

A: Older versions should continue to function normally for the time being.

Reactions: 46er

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This part is interesting, and yet another reason why I avoid Google.

"When you installed Google Earth, you agreed to the Google Earth Additional Terms Of Service, including the Google Terms Of Service, which state, under "About Software in our Services": "When a Service requires or includes downloadable software, this software may update automatically on your device once a new version or feature is available.""

So, when they add a feature for your webcam to constantly record what's happening in your house, their software will automatically update to include it. And we'll all just click the "agree" button without reading the fine print. But not to worry, Google's motto is "Don't be evil". :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a good program for stone searching and that is the only reason I use it. To be more exact, it is a good program for viewing all of your waypoints and tracks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is a good program for stone searching and that is the only reason I use it. To be more exact, it is a good program for viewing all of your waypoints and tracks.

Good for planning road trips as well, especially the Tour feature that lets you 'fly' your route.

Tools > Options > Touring

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Google makes some good software, no doubt. But for me, the lesson from this thread is that Google can make changes on your computer whenever they want to, you gave them permission to do that, and you didn't even realize it. And the bigger issue is that Google is in the business of selling advertising, not helping you find stones or plan trips. They want to find out as much as possible about you and then provide that data to their clients. I just don't like that.

Their business model is very different from Garmin or Apple, who want to sell you hardware. ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The collection of personal data has become an extremely popular past time amongst companies, web sites and guvmints. If you are uncomfortable with the auto update of GE software, use one of the options at the link. This will not prevent the collection of your personnel data, just the automatic install of software updates. Nowadaze, the only way to prevent both is disconnecting from the wonderful wide web (WWW). ;)

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Sorry, but the only way to best ensure you're information is not being gathered is to stay offline and not access the internet.

Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc, are all collecting data, storing it, selling it and using it for profit.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have the Google Earth installer so Monday I installed it and had both Google Earth and Google Earth Pro on my computer. Today, Google Earth is gone again.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have the Google Earth installer so Monday I installed it and had both Google Earth and Google Earth Pro on my computer. Today, Google Earth is gone again.

Pretty sure it is one or the other. I deleted the pro version and put the regular non-update version back onto my laptop a couple of weeks back and it's still there. :cool: