Goshen Gathering: Informal Sunday Night Music Jam?

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
All,

This is something that my friends and I have been pondering for awhile everytime we go out in the Pine Barrens, as we usually hang out around the woods surrounding Goshen Pond. We're all big fans of outdoor live music, some of us musicians, some of us just making stabs at it for fun.

I'd like to know if anyone here would be interested in having Sunday, late afternoon (like 5:00 - 5:30 PM), informal gatherings at Goshen Pond to play, listen, jam music by the pond. I'm amazed that I've never encountered it before in my frequent outings in the Pines, but I think it would be a perfect wind down to the weekend and startup to the workweek. We could end at sundown or keep playing by campfire if things go well (that would be amazing).

I think we're planning on starting this on Sunday, April 22 so that we can get a little more time to see who else here would be interested in something like that. If things go well, I'd like to see this at other accessible, but scenic (Hawkins Bridge, maybe Bodine Field) state campsites maybe on other days, taken on by people who are closer to those locations. We have such a great natural stage in the Pines and the music festivals are too few and far between to quench my musical thirst.

We could even bring food and do cookouts. Even if people aren't musicians, it would be a great way for members of this board and others who stumble upon the outings to get together and discuss good times in the Pines and get to know each other better.

Would anyone be interested in this? I know there are some musicians here on this board.

Peace,

J.

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
I would be interested, and shouldn't be too hard to convince Joann. I know a few other acoustic musicians who might be interested who we have played with over the years. It might be a bit difficult, since my father passed away this afternoon. He was in a bad car wreck two weeks ago, and didn't make it. Someone ran a stop sign and hit him broadside. I would love to do it thouigh. We have an email list for those of you who would like to get together and play. Although, we havn't gotten together much over the last year, but we are hoping to get that going again soon.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
TeeGate said:
Should you notify the rangers??

Guy

Guy,

What would be the reason, just curious? If we have a campfire, I'll get a permit from Atsion. Otherwise, it's just a few people hanging out and enjoying the woods. I don't see more than a group of 10 to 15 people being present (and that's a high estimate). If it gets bigger, then hey, success breeds progression and we'll have to schedule times, sites, etc.

And besides the campfire concern, in regards to your question, no. I'd rather them come and see that people can responsibly enjoy the Pines in ways other than the state pamphlets outline as recreational activities without having to tell them to the 'T' what we're doing. If they have a problem with that, well then, things are much worse off than I as a seasoned pessimist have been led to believe.

We've caused a few dumbfounded looks from rangers over the past year or so because we play ultimate frisbee, football, or just sit and rap about life in the middle of Wharton state forest in various open fields. But when they realize that there's nothing wrong with that, they just leave. I'm sure they have some stories talking about the 'crazy guys' who play sports/hangout in the woods, but nonetheless, it's just good, clean fun.

Peace,

J.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Banjo said:
It might be a bit difficult, since my father passed away this afternoon. He was in a bad car wreck two weeks ago, and didn't make it. Someone ran a stop sign and hit him broadside.

Banjo,

Sorry to hear about that. Two of my friends narrowly escaped death when someone was playing "close your eyes and run the stop sign at 70 mph with your headlights off" at a 4 way stop a few weeks ago. Luckily, it was a newer car. Idiots.

Peace,

J.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NewSchoolPiney said:
Guy,

What would be the reason, just curious? J.

I was just asking if that is something you need to do if you plan on playing music at a campground? I have never camped in one so I was wonding if that would be a problem. No other reason.

Guy

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
All,

Think tonight isn't going to work with the weather we've been having. I will update those who have contacted me via PM as to the next try for this, probably next Sunday (4/30).

On the plus side, maybe all this rain will kill this month+ long fire ban we've had at the public campsites.

Peace,

J.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Music at Goshen

NewSchoolPiney said:
All,

Think tonight isn't going to work with the weather we've been having. I will update those who have contacted me via PM as to the next try for this, probably next Sunday (4/30).

On the plus side, maybe all this rain will kill this month+ long fire ban we've had at the public campsites.

Peace,

J.

I would love to come and hear some live music. Goshen is close to me, so it would be quite easy to swing over and meet some of you folks. SJ is seriously lacking in venues for live/pickup music and having something like this sounds like a great idea.