Governor Corzine Crashes the Pines...Literally

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
This is the part that gets me! Should'nt he been setting an example for us? Is he above the law?

Well technically no, he's not supposed to be, but he IS the Governor. Is the Trooper driving him REALLY going to say "Sir you really should be wearing a seatbelt?" Of course not. Is that the way the law works? Of course not, but such is life.

Will he receive a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt or does that go on the driver?

Either one of two things will happen-either the grave nature of his condition will overshadow the seatbelt issue and it will be forgotten about, or he will make a speedy recovery and ceremoniously pay the ticket in person at the municpal court in Galloway Township. That would make a nice kickoff for a press conference launching the Governor's new seatbelt safety campaign. Isn't politics fun?

Could this whole accident thing not be an accident at all? He is not the most popular guy in NJ. He has made alot of enemies. Will the red vehicle be found? I personally do not think so.

If so that's going to go down in history as one of worst assassination attempts of all time. Also, yes, the Governor has made "enemies" but you need to be pretty controversial in order to make political enemies PO'ed enough to kill. Jon Corzine ain't exactly George Wallace or Huey P. Long. Most political assassins are deranged individuals whose dogs or parakeets told them to do it. I seriously doubt that some guy stewing because he thinks the Governor should have disclosed more about his relationship with Karla Katz would run his motorcade off the road. As for the Bronco I'm wondering if he realized what he'd done and pulled off onto one of the many sandroads that intersect the Parkway? We need to get the PBX on the case! Rest assured, they'll find the guy. I'll tell you though-if I owned a red Bronco I'd drive something else for time being-especially on the Turnpike or the Parkway. Imagine getting pulled over! :siren:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here's an article with some new information, including a picture of a skeleton with notes about all the injuries. Wow, he is really messed up.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/04/crash_sent_unbuckled_corzine_f.html#more

I'll tell you though-if I owned a red Bronco I'd drive something else for time being-especially on the Turnpike or the Parkway.

Now they say it was an F-150:
The truck is described as a late 1980's or early 1990's model Ford F150 pickup truck, said Sgt. Jeanne Hengemuhle, a state police spokeswoman. The truck is believed to be a two-wheel drive model with faded red paint and a white or red cap.

State Police are reviewing footage from cameras placed along the roadway in a search for more information on the car and are interviewing other motorists driving along the roadway at the time.

Also:
Fuentes said investigators didn't believe speed played a role in the crash. "From our preliminary investigation, it looks as if the trooper did a tremendous job in maintaining what control he could over that vehicle, given the fact that the other vehicle swerved into his path," he said.

And:
"If that is the case (that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt), he would be subject to a ticket," Wald said. "But based on the investigation so far, we have not determined whether he was wearing one or not. The investigation is still ongoing. There are still people we have to interview."

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
As I open mindedly listen to Craig Carton & Ray Rossi on the way home on 101.5, this eve' I found it a respectful show with an interview with Cody in which he seemed very positive about Corzine's situation and I feel we will weather this well with Cody in the seat for a bit. I will not engage politics or silliness. I will say that the gentleman sustained a serious degree of damage and I hope decent folk support his recovery.
Please remember, Any accident on a major highway could have resulted in much worse for many more parties. Be thankful and remember it only takes an instant to change anyone's life. No one is exempt.

G.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
LARGO said:
As I open mindedly listen to Craig Carton & Ray Rossi on the way home on 101.5, this eve' I found it a respectful show with an interview with Cody in which he seemed very positive about Corzine's situation and I feel we will weather this well with Cody in the seat for a bit. I will not engage politics or silliness. I will say that the gentleman sustained a serious degree of damage and I hope decent folk support his recovery.
Please remember, Any accident on a major highway could have resulted in much worse for many more parties. Be thankful and remember it only takes an instant to change anyone's life. No one is exempt.

Good words, G.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
This is the part that gets me! Should'nt he been setting an example for us? Is he above the law? Will he receive a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt or does that go on the driver? Could this whole accident thing not be an accident at all? He is not the most popular guy in NJ. He has made alot of enemies. Will the red vehicle be found? I personally do not think so.

:( You're right. He's not the most popular guy in the state and personally I can't stand the man. But he's a human being with family and friends and I hope he fully recovers from this accident. If the red vehicle used any of the exits on the GSP they are probably reviewing the recordings from the camera's at the exits. I hope they find the person. Arguably Corzine would be in better condition had he been wearing his seat belt as required by law. But the driver that caused the accident will be cited for causing and leaving the scene on an accident. Hopefully some additional charges as well. Get well soon Mr. Corzine.

From a die hard republican.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I hear they found the person who did this. Apparently, they are NOT going to charge him. According to Jessica he is a special user driver or something like that. I guess he has a disability.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If he caused the accident, why is he not being charged?

From the story (I have seen the exact same quote at Fox, Asbury Park Press and CNN), He was described as a "special needs driver" who may have a mental impairment, the official said.

Makes you wonder how many other "mentally impaired" people are causing accidents they aren't even aware of...

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
And why would we have a reckless driver, special needs or not, allowed to drive? The guy should have some consequences for what he did. Mannnn. This is gonna be some storm.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The whole thing really makes you wonder, doesn't it?... Wouldn't they at least take away that person's license if he caused the accident? Or will the story now change about the cause of the accident? I guess we'll have to wait for an official statement.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I will look forward to hearing an explanation. A dangerous driver is a dangerous driver. I don't understand what "special needs" has to do with that. The very implication makes me pretty angry, but I will reserve that till I get the facts.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's some more info: http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/04/driver_of_red_pickup_interview.html

Although the investigation is continuing, police today gave this description of the events leading up to the crash:

Around 6 p.m. on Thursday, the driver of the red Ford pick-up pulled over to the right side of the Garden State Parkway at mile post 43.4 when he saw a black SUV approaching from behind with its emergency flashers activted. His right front tire went off the paved shoulder into some soft dirt, jerking the pick-up to the right, police said.

The driver tried to straighten out but over-compensated and pulled partly back into the right lane of traffic. That promted the driver of a white Dodge truck to pull to the left to avoid colliding with the red Ford.

The Dodge then collided with the passenger side front fender of the governor's SUV. Corzine, who was sitting in the front passenger seat -- and apparently was not wearing a seatbelt, aides have said -- took the worst of the impact. His State Police driver and an aide suffered minor injuries.

After State Police put out word that they were looking for the red Ford pickup, police in Little Egg Harbor matched the description to Potts' truck. State Police said the information supplied by Little Egg Harbor about the driver was supported by surveillance cameras and Parkway toll information.