GPS Bundle

fcimino

Mar 20, 2003
www.njoffroad.com
Just want to let you guys know about a gps package Sports Authority has. It's a complete bundle with a Magellan Meridian gps unit, pc cable, mapping software, 16mb memory card (more than enough to all of south jersey), as well as a windshield mount and power cable for the unit for $300. It was actually cheaper to buy this set rather than buy everything to put detailed maps on my old gps unit.

~fred

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Wow, that sounds like a good price. But are the maps topo or driving? Tack another $100 on for TopoUSA and you can't upload those maps into the GPS.

I paid $599 for my Garmin GPSV, which came with Mapsource City Select, PC cable, power cable, and 19MB of memory built in.

fcimino

Mar 20, 2003
www.njoffroad.com
The package includes the street maps, but you can get topo software from Magellan that you can upload to the gps unit. Not sure if it just shows one set of maps at a time, or if it overlays the two together.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I can get the topo maps from Garmin as well, but they're extremely low-res. I would imagine that a high-res topo map would eat the memory on the GPS rather quickly. Of course if that Meridian takes CF cards then you can just load up a 256mb card with the maps and go.

I would love to have a tablet PC with GPS and topo-usa to carry around the woods with me. That would be the ultimate in exploration gear. Maybe if I get a few grand to burn I'll do it! :)