Great Horned Owl?

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
See attached picture of the owl.. it really looks fake but my friend took a picture of it as he was backing out of his driveway in Parkertown. It looks like a very young owl.

Attachments

• Jan26_0001.jpg
    Jan26_0001.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 311

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
if that actually is a owl, i give him credit for getting that pic. if its a cluster of leaves i give him credit of getting that pic as well, cause i wouldnt be able to lol

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
Looks like it lol, I wasn't too sure... I just figured it was a Great Horned... are they common in NJ? I've never seen an owl with that color, thats why I thought it was young.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Cool picture. I love owls. I have some in the area that I hunt. A little after sunset they start hooting back and forth. I had one this past fall land just above my head a couple trees away. I was able to observe him for about 5 minutes before he split, I was hoping he would hoot while perched there but no such luck. I had a sharpie land in my tree about 5 feet from my head and he put on a good show, he perched there and called for a least 5 minutes. Real loud when you are that close. The only thing not camo was my eye holes in my face mask. I was afraid he would see my eyes move and come over for a snack thinking it was some thing much smaller.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Yeah, great photo. This, along with HawkinNative's vulture photos, have made my evening. Thanks for posting. Screech owls are cool ... I hear them all the time (and have recorded quite a few, but always from a distance), but have yet to see one in the wild. There's a bunch of 'em down at the game preserve by Al's town. Spooky sounding calls, send chills up the ol' spineroo. I plan to stalk position some future night, inviting a screecher to step on up to the mics ...

When temps get just a bit more toasty, that is.

Bring on more bird photos!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
No crows and no noise, those guys are quite! I was in my kayak slowly moving upstream just observing.

Ed

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Second the Screech Owl id.

A GHO from Wells Mill CP. Note the Hummingbird on a strafing run in the second shot :D GHO's are nesting now, listen for them hooting around dusk.

217872834_562665e710_o.jpg

210486898_bf101a8a30_o.jpg

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Note the Hummingbird on a strafing run in the second shot :D GHO's are nesting now, listen for them hooting around dusk.

Incredible photo. I mean, really, really incredible.

Thanks for sharing the great shots and info, 46er. The best great-horned owl recording I got last year was pre-dawn (I usually don't head out at dusk, as aircraft traffic is heavy and spoils recordings), late summer, at a Laurel Lake game preserve. Two of them, after an entire night of GHO silence, suddenly got the urge to sound off. I'm sure they thought I was a hoot, as well, dancing with joy that I'd picked a nice spot to set up the field recorder. "Hoot, Men!," Whip chanted (under his breath), accompanying the fancy footwork. The owls sure made it worth my while sitting out there all night. Some screechers had went off at midnight, and I sat there until the darkest-before-dawn hours for the GHOs. Drove home at 5am, tired as hell, but with a huge smile on my face.

Would you say now is their most active time of the year, vocally? If so, I'll have to dig out my mittens, long-johns, the recorder, the hot-chocolate thermos, saw up some firewood, recruit Alfie for some warm conversation, maybe Marvin, and brave the cold for a night.

Edit: I have no idea how I put a green ocean tag over this post.