Great Swamp Branch & Nescohague Creek, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today was the annual PBX super hike and cookout, postponed from last weekend because of the weather. It was last night around 7PM that the decision was made to continue with it. Lets back up a little.

I designed a hike in an area along the Nescochague that I have always wanted to travel, and we extended that hike a little more to fill the day completely for our big hike. So after Bob and I ironed out the details a few months back, Bob sent the invitation to all PBX members on 3/22/09. Here is a slightly edited version of it.

My fellow Pine Barren Brothers, get your rubber boots on! Lets meet at 7:30 AM sharp at the Church at Pleasant Mills on Saturday, May 2nd for our Big Trip 2009.

Way, way back in the southwest corner of our beloved Pine Barrens lies the Great Swamp Branch. A feeder for Nescochague Creek. That is where our Big Trip 2009 journey begins. Guy started the planning for this trip and I contributed some waypoints to round it out. It has some interesting and challenging terrain. We'll go all the way from route 206 to route 542 through the big piney woods.

Fitting of course that it ends at the Church in Pleasant Mills. After all, that is where all the great iron furnace barons ended up. We’ll end up there too…though hopefully not six feet under. At least not yet.

Actually, our final destination after the Church is Wading Pines Campground, where once again we’ll take a hot shower, kick up our feet, pop open a cold one (or two), share the bread, and relive the day's events. We’ll reminisce about how hard this 9 mile trip was. We’ll think about how to get out of a similar fate next year too. But of course we’ll be back. The Pines and the wild places that are still left draw us in like honey to the bees.

Are you game? Can you do this? Are your legs up to the task? How about your heart? Enough questions!

My friends, let me know if your wife will let you out of the house for this one as soon as you can. Tell her you won't return till after dark, and you won't be lying.

Happy Trails………….bob

So one week late at 8AM we were all at the Pleasant Mills Church. On this hike was Hewey (Chris), bobpbx, me, Jessica, RedneckF350 (Scott) and his son , long-a-coming (Tom), Woodjin (Jeff), and Paul who is not a member of this site. We all then boarded the Redneck F350 and headed off to 206 where we entered the woods on our big journey. In the next four hours because of briers and flooding, we had only traveled 1/4 of the way. Alterations of the route was required forcing us to pass by many of the places we wanted to visit. However, we did hit some of them, and here are the photo’s.

First, while waiting for the other to arrive, Jessica and I checked out the Pleasant Mills Graveyard. It is not a pretty sight! I wonder what the people who are buried there would think of this?

IMG_1635.JPG

Arrival at the beginning in the Rednek F350. If only we knew what we were in for!

IMG_1636.JPG

Phragmites choking out one of the streams from humans use of fertilizers in the area upstream. The acidity in the soil is lowering allowing this plant to grow. Quite disappointing to bobpbx

IMG_1637.JPG

A very nice place that Bob calls “Plowboy.”

IMG_1641.JPG

Then to “IndiaSink” where even with the flooding you can see where the ATV’s have been running through this special place.

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

Jeff picked this turtle right out of the water.

IMG_1647.JPG

If you want to see a turtle up-close, click on the photo when it loads to enlarge it. Check out it’s nose :)

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05092009/IMG_1649.jpg

Throughout the day we had been finding Pink Lady Slippers. Many were just starting to grow and in some instances Bob had to warn us that we were steping on them. Some were about to bloom but we had not viewed any ready to photograph. While in a very remote area trying to navigate our way through, Jessica noticed this one right next to me. Fully in bloom, but somewhat tilted, I did my best to get a few quick shots before having to catch up to the rest ahead of me. This was not a great specimen to photograph, however, I will have some more in the coming weeks.

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

Our failed attempt to cross this area because of flooding and severe briars. Jeff and Bob making a noble attempt with Tom looking on.

IMG_1663.JPG

Bob and Jeff resting their feet in the Nescochague.

IMG_1664.JPG

And I did get a chance to visit the Nescochague Azimuth Mark on our travels today.

IMG_1666.JPG

After 8 hours and 11.8 miles of hiking, the PBX crew ended the day where we started it, at the Pleasant Mills Church. The walk from 206 was over. Jessica was the first to arrive making the trip seem like a piece of cake; however, Chris and Tom can prove to you otherwise, and this photo of Chris’s arm show’s just that. Him and Tom can take a sticking for sure.

IMG_1670.JPG

And while we rested for a few to recover from the beating, we were treated to a small wedding at the church. Lets hope their road is less rocky than ours was today.

IMG_1673.JPG

Scott’s wife met us at the church, and we headed to the wading Pines Campground for our usual end of the year cookout. I want to thank eveyone who was there today for a great day, and I can guarantee we will finish it later this year. The big woods are calling and I for one will be answering.

IMG_1679.JPG

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
What a day in the woods.
It was the best of times and it was the worst of times, at times.
Still, no one ended up dead or wouned which is always a plus, especially with 85+/- temps.
The biggest problem seemed to boil down to having to dress for the heat with lighter than normal pants and short sleeve shirts.
If this was the fall or late winter we would have made a little better progress.
At 12:00 noon we had been thrashing away for three hours and we were only 1.3 miles from my truck.
The day ened with nearly a 12 mile track for an 8 mile crow flight.

It all came together at the end and Guy's daughter Jess put us all to shame and logged the the last 3 miles in record time and looking none the worse for wear.

Medi-Vac was on standby for Tom who opted for heavy rubber hip boots that damn near killed him.

The after party, which is my favorite part, because I have an alcohol problem and a hollow leg, was outstanding.
Thanks to my lovely wife for attending and helping with the que.

The topper of all toppers was the band that the Wading Pines Campground had on stage right next to our camp.
These were 4 young kids (The Pickles) that kicked ass on everything they played. The SOB's could even play the DEAD! :(

My wife, son, Bob and Chris stayed another hour in the pole barn listening and downing a few more frosties.
The band ended with a rendition of Simple Man which sounded as good as the Skynrd original.
I told the keyboardist that they were awesome and he tahnked me sincerely.

I thought to myself that there was nothing left to make this day any better.

A warm wind through the window all the way home through the pines was all I needed.

Thanks boys and girls for time well spent.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I forgot to post the photo at Wading Pines, so I just added it.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
WOW, what a trek, consider the scratches, the higher temps, the flooding, it was still a great day to be in the Pines.

Did you find Reference Mark #1 ?

Was this one of the longest PBX hikes ?

What was the Brew of choice at Wading Pines ?

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
WOW, what a trek, consider the scratches, the higher temps, the flooding, it was still a great day to be in the Pines.

Did you find Reference Mark #1 ?

Was this one of the longest PBX hikes ?

What was the Brew of choice at Wading Pines ?

Jim

I did not have time to search for #1. I will as soon as I get there in the future. My brew of choice was Ginger Ale :) I know I should not drink the hard stuff, but I needed something to wet my whistle.

I believe it is the longest we have hiked.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Great report Guy. Your photos prove that there were highlights even though we had to modify this trek. I forgot to give it an extra point in my rating for the great companionship, which really is a large part of why we do this.

Thanks to everyone who brought food, making it a great success, and not a burden to just one or two of us.

Scott, that sausage was awesome, and Chris the venison was great!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Eastern mud turtle.He's probably thinking how special he is that you guys came all the way out there just to visit him:)
Al

Maybe, but his constant mouth opening when we got near him makes me think otherwise :D

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I woke up this morning with a little soreness but otherwise fully recovered from the days events. When we reached the bridge/water drop area I was in pitiful shape from the beating I took in the briars earlier. I was having trouble concentrating and the desire to just drop to the ground was strong. The support of the crew was amazing! If I ever had to go to war, I want the same crew there! It didn't matter how much water I drank, it was just pouring right out of me and my legs were cramping up. The healing powers of the cool creek helped me get up and finish the trek. The final stretch I was walking on average about 1.8 mph with 3mph bursts to just get it done. I could not keep up with the lead crew so I walked a slow pace knowing Bob and Jeff were still behind me somewhere back there. I was resting on the side of the road when I heard Bob yell out my name. Walking with them awhile I was impressed that they looked like they could go another 12 miles with water crossings. I have heard Bob describe Jeff as a ghost for his seeming effortless way he travels through the terrain. That is why I knew we were in a tough spot when even Jeff was stumped at the crossing. Bob I consider you the field general- carefully weighing the adventure with the proper precautions, you shined yesterday! Thanks to everyone for making this a great trip! A full day in the woods like yesterday is few and far between right now. I can't wait to do it again! (in the fall). How about a canoe/kayak trip ending at Wading Pines with all the bells and whistles and partying in June/July? Any takers?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It didn't matter how much water I drank, it was just pouring right out of me and my legs were cramping up. How about a canoe/kayak trip ending at Wading Pines with all the bells and whistles and partying in June/July? Any takers?

Yes, take me, take me!

Tom, you were showing the first signs of heat stroke. I could tell with the slight confusion and cramps you exhibited at the water drop. If you had not taken those boots off I was prepared the throw you bodily into the creek. You are a trooper. Get some knee highs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Get some knee highs.

Yea, you need knee highs.

Jessica was worried about you. She told me she asked you if you were alright. If I had known you were having so much trouble at the end I would have stayed behind with you. I just didn't know.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I've been looking forward to seeing this report. Seems like--once more-- y'all had a good time in spite of the heat, met the challenge, and survived to plan again. I've learned a bit about briars now . . .

I like the sadly-tilting lady slipper and your macro turtle with claws that are even more impressive than his nostrils. :) Thanks!

Glo

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Yea, you need knee highs.

Jessica was worried about you. She told me she asked you if you were alright. If I had known you were having so much trouble at the end I would have stayed behind with you. I just didn't know.

Guy

Its Ok man, I just kept a slow pace during the final stretch. After Bloody Bridge I felt strong enough to finish, I was never in danger again after I got hydrated and took off the boots and dipped my feet into the creek. Y'all may think I'm nuts but I'd do again tomorrow, well maybe not tomorrow:)

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Guy as allways great report. That was a good time saturday, even with my truck braking on the way down and the shredded arms. thank god my truck broke close to home so I could get it back home and all my gear switched over to my jeep and still make the trip.

The after party was a good time. Scotts home made wine was killer along with the sausage and cheese he also brought. Looking forward to the next adventure.

Chris

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Here are some additional photos from the hike:

The group overlooking "plowboy"

watermark.php

The once cultivated India sink

watermark.php

A spung. probably has not been visted in a very long time

watermark.php

The group moves through a very unusual area of the Nesco floodplain. Uncommon plants and old topo info indicate human disturbance long since faded from memory.

watermark.php

After the rest of the group headed forward to pleasant mills, Bob and I hung back and explored a savanna almost hidden along West Mills road. Here is Bob re-enacting the famous Bigfoot footage from the '50's.

watermark.php

A savanna as scene from the piney woods, looking toward the cedar swamp on the other side.

watermark.php

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very nice Jeff. I forgot my camera on this one. I do have some pics of the aftermath party though.
India sink was the highlight of the day for me.
I love old bogs and never get tired of marvelling at the work that went in to building them. There was a manmade berm around the entire perimeter.
Here it is in 1881.
Compliments to Ben for installing the Cook collection of maps.

Attachments

• cook map.jpg
    cook map.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 338

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

You additions do a nice job showing that we were in water quite a bit early on. Something that my photo’s did not show. Very nice!

Scott and I are fascinated by India Sink, and I am certain Jeff was also. It was really flooded to the point it was over Jessica’s boots so she waded through it almost up to her knees. This photo showing our tracks tells us we actually walked in an area that most of the time must be dry.

indiasink1.jpg

And unfortunately it also is a favorite of ATV users. We could see where they were accessing it in a couple places.

indiasink.jpg

Guy

Awesome Pictures! Even with the war-wounds it looks like time well spent! I said it before but, that's one heck of a camera! Macro shot was Ol' shellback was pretty sweet, but did you see any others? Any odd critters sighted? Huckleberry and Blues are out in bloom toward the east Atlantic county. Notice any flowers left on after the wind and rain we had recently? Speaking of critters, how was the tick count? (The're out in force toward the coast.) Any chiggers?