Gritty in Wharton

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"... the important thing is, he's reached such a high level of recognition that even people who don't follow hockey probably know him and love him."

First time I ever heard of him and not loving him. ;) Didn't watch the video, but was it filmed on public land (like a state forest)? If so, I wonder if the Flyers got permission for this publicity stunt? I'd think a big organization like that is probably accustomed to following the rules and getting necessary permits, etc.

A NJ State Park Service Special Use Permit is required for various types of short-duration, organized activities and/or events within a state park, forest and/or historic site. Examples of organized activities and/or special events include, but are not limited to press events, commercial photography and/or filming, corporate events, fundraisers, festivals, demonstrations, walkathons and races, concerts, Televised events and/or commercial use of or on State Park Service lands and/or waters.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The article says it was Wharton but until anyone knows the exact location we have to be doubtful.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"... the important thing is, he's reached such a high level of recognition that even people who don't follow hockey probably know him and love him."

First time I ever heard of him and not loving him. ;) Didn't watch the video, but was it filmed on public land (like a state forest)? If so, I wonder if the Flyers got permission for this publicity stunt? I'd think a big organization like that is probably accustomed to following the rules and getting necessary permits, etc.

A NJ State Park Service Special Use Permit is required for various types of short-duration, organized activities and/or events within a state park, forest and/or historic site. Examples of organized activities and/or special events include, but are not limited to press events, commercial photography and/or filming, corporate events, fundraisers, festivals, demonstrations, walkathons and races, concerts, Televised events and/or commercial use of or on State Park Service lands and/or waters.

"Because he's not only a hockey icon; he's a cultural icon. Almost like Mickey Mouse. Or Mario."

Okay, yeah.

Reactions: Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Gritty is indeed very popular and I would, in my own humble opinion of course, certainly classify him as a cultural icon in the region. I do not follow hockey at all, but I know Gritty well. His popularity may just not intersect all that well with this particular forum.

That said - I don't particularly like this post. Whether it was done illegally or legally (on private property, or with special permits), it still ultimately encourages dirt bike riding in the pines to half a million followers. They have done more harmless "vacation" posts in the past - check him out setting up a tent for camping, for example. I would have appreciated something more respectful of the environment.

The article says it was Wharton but until anyone knows the exact location we have to be doubtful.
I don't see Wharton mentioned anywhere in the article specifically, but maybe I missed something.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have tried the wayback machine but that does not show that article. I usually take screenshots and send them to Jessica but this morning I sent the link. I regret that.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Perhaps I am uncultured and live under a rock. I have never heard of that mascot. But I do know Mickey Mouse and Mario.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Perhaps I am uncultured and live under a rock. I have never heard of that mascot. But I do know Mickey Mouse and Mario.
My favorite mascot was Petey.

Attachments

• Schools-out-our-gang-1930.jpg
    Schools-out-our-gang-1930.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32