Groundhog Day

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This cute little fellow let me walk right up and take his picture with my iPhone.

For the past couple years I've watched a big groundhog that has a nest near my driveway, but she was extremely shy and ran away at the slightest sound or movement. I think she was the Mom, but a couple weeks ago my neighbor said he shot one in his garden which would explain why I haven't seen her since then.

Two babies have been foraging in the yard by themselves since they were small, and I don't think they quite learned what to do when a human is around - they usually just freeze and hope I don't see them.

This was the first time I had a camera handy so I decided to see how close he would let me get. When I was maybe 4 feet away he started chattering to warn me to keep my distance. Since there's always the possibility of rabies, I heeded the warning.

groundhog1.jpg

groundhog2.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, it is a good sign they warned you. That means they should do well on their own. Lets hope. Why would he kiil her?????

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'd say it would be a better sign for their welfare if they ran when they saw me. Neighbor said the groundhogs have been eating his plants - I didn't tell him that I know where the nest is (it's on my property, 100 yards or more from his house).

I don't mind if they use my yard as an all-you-can-eat buffet. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It could be like the squirrel Jeff found and climb on your head.