Guess what I found!!!!!!

B

BarryC

I'll leave you in suspense and just say that it's in my photo gallery. It's the first item in the gallery. You'll know why I posted this in this particular forum. I think this is my best find yet. I'll leave it at that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Barry,

That is a very nice find. Congratulations! Thanks for posting it.

Guy

B

BarryC

It sure is cool.
And I wonder if any other bog iron furnaces south of Allaire were ever around late enough in history to be photographed.
Also, I wonder how many had this beehive shape.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hanover Furnace is the only other place I know of that had been photographed wile it's stack was around.

What happened to the furnace at Atsion? Was it torn down, or just fell down on it's own? Where was it located?

B

BarryC

Atsion- that's a very good question. Keith was actually asking me this recently. And another thing about Atsion, the bog iron industry flourished, failed, re-started and flourished again, and failed again. So was it in the same spot both times? I'd love to know. The mansion and store are from the second time. And how about Batsto- where was it's furnace? I think it was down between the grist and saw mills, or was that where the glass house was located? Interesting stuff, but I wonder if anyone is alive today who would know.
Oh, and I heard the Aetna stack was torn down eventually, I think.
bruset said:
Hanover Furnace is the only other place I know of that had been photographed wile it's stack was around.

What happened to the furnace at Atsion? Was it torn down, or just fell down on it's own? Where was it located?