Gun clubs? or shooting ranges?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Go to the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife site. They give a list of all the Wildlife Management Areas in NJ that have free shooting ranges for bow, rifle, and shotgun. Anything else you'll have to find a private club.. should be easy to do online.

Buschwacker

Oct 3, 2006
Carteret, New Jersey
Shooting Ranges

To use a shooting range on a NJ WMA you need to have valid NJ Hunting License. Double check the regs, would not want to see or hear of anyone having any trouble or problems.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
NJF&W ranges come in 3 flavors;

1-bow & arrow
2-shotgun
3-muzzleloader and .22 rifle

No pistols allowed.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
There's also a trap shooting range on Lacey Road in Forked River if that's their thing. Its a fun place if they're close by. What are they shooting? When I visit my buddies in PA (where I went to college), they're usually happy firing 357s at empty whiskey bottles.

Thanks for all the useful feedback, 46er, Piney Mike, and Buschwacker.

That's a pretty great list of resources on those webpages, 46er.

Buschwacker, thanks for the heads-up. My friend is a lawyer, and, as an officer of the court, I'm sure he'll want to be properly credentialed. On the other hand, I realize that, kinda like Charles Bronson in the Dirty Dozen, people might develop a taste for shooting lawyers, so I will try to remain vague about his precise whereabouts (and my own).

Piney Mike, thanks for the recommendations re: NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife shooting range sites and the trap shooting place. Consistent with your experience with PA shooters, I don't think my friend is too picky about his targets. But my real question for you is: how does Gus McRae show up in your avatar photo? I thought Woodrow dragged his coffin back to Texas?

Thanks again,
Dave

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I forgot about the place on Lacey Rd. It is west of the GSP, called the GroundSwipers. I've been there a couple of times. A nice, safe operation, with helpful folks, but they do have limited hours.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I forgot about the place on Lacey Rd. It is west of the GSP, called the GroundSwipers. I've been there a couple of times. A nice, safe operation, with helpful folks, but they do have limited hours.

If I remember correctly, Sunday was the day to go trap shooting at that location. On Gus and the Captain, Lonesome Dove is the best western ever in my opinion, and I happen to be a huge fan of John Wayne films, but dont think any of them touch this saga. Gus and Woodrow live forever.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I thought i read it is necessary to have a NJ Firearms ID card if you live out of state and plan to travel to NJ to use the weapon.

Problems also is that the rules for the Firearms ID card seem to place restrictions on transporting the firearm and if you make any stops prior to the exact destination where the firearms will be used or stored it is illegal.

Stored in your a place that will be your NJ residence did not require a ID Card according to the state law. However each town can have a more restrictive lawn then federal or state regarding the transportaion of the firearm.

As well the firearm may be considered illegal if it is in a motel room with you even if unloaded and locked or even if in a trailer if the trailer is connected to a motorized vehicle. If in a self contained RV. The firearm must be unloaded and locked in a way to not be accessible to anyone. Even if the RV is parked. But could be considered illegal by the town or city you are in.

Also seems each town-county may have their own firearms regs which demand you must have a NJ Firearms card to carry the weapon in a vehicle even if locked in the trunk or if no trunk then locked in a box.

NJ seems so complicated.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
This link does seem to state different then what I heard or read somewhere about the need for a FID card for out of stater's.

But local laws could be more restrictive then NJ state law is.

I have no idea how we would know what all the local laws are within Nj or other state.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This link does seem to state different then what I heard or read somewhere about the need for a FID card for out of stater's.

But local laws could be more restrictive then NJ state law is.

I have no idea how we would know what all the local laws are within Nj or other state.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

That's a bit misleading. The following link applies to transport of firearms into/throuogh the state by non-residents. There really are no reg's that a prudent person would not follow. The only problem area might be with a CCW permit.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_ag2.html

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It is amazing how many people will argue that you need to carry your NJ Firearms Purchasers Identification card with you when transporting your weapons.
I have lots of friends that hunt that swear that it's required. My card stays at home except for afew times a year when I buy a gun.
The card is exactly that, a purchasers id card.

I transport guns a minimum of two days per week in my pickup for hunting, trapping or going to my gun club ranges every Thursday night.
Our club has a range book that you must sign each time you visit a range and it creates a record for having been there with your gun.
For hunting and trapping purposes, I make sure my licenses and zone permits are with me when I have a gun in the truck.
I shoot every Thursday night year round indoors or out and we have a weekly meeting every Thursday night. Should you be pulled over on a Thursday night after our meeting, the range book is your validation for having the firearm in your vehicle on your trip home.
The book doesn't help with DUI's though.
:)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
When I traveled cross country for 6 weeks last year, I looked into the laws for crossing state lines and the bottom line was it didnt sound like a good idea. Of course thats diff than PA to NJ. I've heard some states make you check in at the truck stations (not sure if thats true or not). It kind of sounded to me like it was travel with it at your own risk, which I wasnt about to do. This raises a good question.. how the heck do you go from one state to the next with firearms? There has to be be a normal procedure.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When I traveled cross country for 6 weeks last year, I looked into the laws for crossing state lines and the bottom line was it didnt sound like a good idea. Of course thats diff than PA to NJ. I've heard some states make you check in at the truck stations (not sure if thats true or not). It kind of sounded to me like it was travel with it at your own risk, which I wasnt about to do. This raises a good question.. how the heck do you go from one state to the next with firearms? There has to be be a normal procedure.

I am not aware of any issues with traveling thru the states with firearms that are properly cased and locked. The issue is for those with carry permits. I've been to S Dakota several times for pheasant hunting with no problems. Folks fly with firearms with no problems, my brother was in Colorado Elk hunting last year; took a plane and rented a car, no problems. Heck you can even get into Canada without any hardship. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
It is amazing how many people will argue that you need to carry your NJ Firearms Purchasers Identification card with you when transporting your weapons.
I have lots of friends that hunt that swear that it's required. My card stays at home except for afew times a year when I buy a gun.
The card is exactly that, a purchasers id card.
:)

I was told by the detective that did my fingerprinting a while back (because I asked him) that if I was traveling between NJ and our cabin in the Adirondacks (NY), that I should have the guns and ammo seperated and stored away and my ID card on my person. Apparently, its for more than just purchasing purposes, this according to the detective. Might be the same for crossing all states.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was told by the detective that did my fingerprinting a while back (because I asked him) that if I was traveling between NJ and our cabin in the Adirondacks (NY), that I should have the guns and ammo seperated and stored away and my ID card on my person. Apparently, its for more than just purchasing purposes, this according to the detective. Might be the same for crossing all states.

You do not need your NJ ID, in fact NY doesn't recognize it. There are no possession or carry laws for long guns in NY for non-residents. However, you would have a problem in NY if you do not have a local permit to own a pistol. You need a local permit to keep it in your home/cabin, these regs are either town or county. Our cabin was in Essex county, which is where the permits are issued. One tip, if you are ever stopped by the police, immediately advise them you have a firearm in your vehicle. They used to have a border patrol stop heading south on the northway just past exit 30. I always told them if I was transporting and never had an issue.

"Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container."

http://www.co.essex.ny.us/cclerkpistol.asp

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
You do not need your NJ ID, in fact NY doesn't recognize it. There are no possession or carry laws for long guns in NY for non-residents. However, you would have a problem in NY if you do not have a local permit to own a pistol. You need a local permit to keep it in your home/cabin, these regs are either town or county. Our cabin was in Essex county, which is where the permits are issued. One tip, if you are ever stopped by the police, immediately advise them you have a firearm in your vehicle. They used to have a border patrol stop heading south on the northway just past exit 30. I always told them if I was transporting and never had an issue.

"Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container."

http://www.co.essex.ny.us/cclerkpistol.asp

The detective meant for the Jersey side. All my guns were purchased in NY because I never needed an ID. It wasnt until I wanted to bring them home to Jersey that I needed the ID. I walked out of a general store in NY with my first .22 (used), a case of shells, and a six pack for under 80 dollars within 10 minutes. They made a brief background check phone call.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Lots of misinformation which indicates more restriction on transporting firearms in NJ could keep you out of hot water.

Lots of law enforcement use mis-information to find a way to fine you .

There are a few towns in nj I stay clear of due to them needing to bring in revenue with traffic issues that did not occur or are rediculous and out of staters are prime victims for this.

Such as sun glasses on dashboard blocking drivers view, passenger sleeping in moving car, etc, etc

One can only imagine what they can do when they get you with a firearm and you are out of state.

Trust no one !