Gus Heinrichs passes on

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
This certainly is a sad loss. I am lucky enough to own a Barnegat Bay Sneakbox built by Gus, which I will eventually pass on to my son. I have also had the honor of having him volunteer to assist me as a boat building contest judge at the Ocean County Decoy & Gunning Show for many years. The time spent with Gus as he and the other judges walked through the show grounds, examining and critiquing each boat, has been both educational and memorable and I will treasure it for a long time. The Tuckerton Seaport and the visiting public there have also greatly benefited from his experience and craftsmanship. Local boat builders and decoy carvers have not been uncommon in this area, but few have been as willing as he was to share his knowledge with others. He will be missed.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My Great Uncle was Rube "Uncle Rube" Corliss. I have many fond memories of asking him to tell me the Sea Serpent story as a kid.

That must have been great to experience. Sorry for misspelling his last name. I’ve seen it spelled both ways in decoy collecting publications and never knew which was correct. I’ve always admired his decoys. They are carved in a style that is very much his own and very recognizable. That always makes a decoy much more collectible to me than those that are more generic in their carving and painting.

omega

Explorer
I shot a video on sneakboxes way back with George Heinrichs at one of the early decoy and gunning shows at Tip Seaman Park. The Baymen's museum had purchased one of his father's (Gus) sneakboxes for display at the museum. He had one on display he had spent that winter building.

Relative?

omega

Explorer
actually I was wondering if Gus and George were related, since George's father was also named Gus, but that wouldn't have been his father, since in the video, shot prior to 1994, George mentions how he took over when he father took ill.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I didn't Know Gus But by the very Good things I'm seeing said about him, I can say with all sincerity that A man of that caliber and fortitude will be missed in our time. I knew One other Artisan like him and he lived in Tuckerton ,Was the Step father of my nephew in law. He was very good at building small Boats, not many But he could refurbish any boat that was still floating and make it like new. I believe people like that make up the lore of any town they reside.It Sounds Like Gus will be remembered for years to come.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I knew Gus. He was the general contractor on one of my jobs back in the 90's. He had a heart attack back then and I thought he was done in for. I am glad he held on for a few more years. He was a great guy.

kamikazekopec

Feb 5, 2009
hi everybody. I'm Gus Heinrichs' great nephew Jeff and it makes me feel so proud but sad to see people talking about my uncle. People who didnt even know him cared about what he did with his work at the Tuckerton Seaport and as a sneakbox builder for much longer. Okay cheers everyone keep my Uncles legacy alive!!!!!!

As everyone else has said Gus was a hell of a man.

Skilled craftsman, great teacher , good to sit and chat with. I know I'll miss talking to him when were were both demonstrating at the Seaport.

His legacy is set in cedar and it will remain on the barnegat for ages.

Godspeed Gus!..............
Jode

Don Ay

Feb 15, 2009
I knew both George and Gus and always enjoyed talking boats hunting history with them
one of my best memories with them
I restored a sneakbox built by their father
picture of Gus with the boat

Attachments

• guswmyboat1.jpg
    guswmyboat1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 611