Gypsy Moth activity

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Out in the woods this weekend I did not see any evidence of gypsy moths yet. Although I did not get an up close look. Large oak areas on the North side of Route 72 and also along Magnolia road still looked healthy. Is it still too early or has perhaps the aerial spraying helped?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Nope, not too early, my coworker (an entomologist) lives in Tabernacle and says they are belaying themselves onto everything at the moment. The Dimilin spraying may keep them at bay for a short time, but they will be back.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I have two trees in my front yard that have seed sacks, and I have caterpillars in the yard as of the weekend too. Not sure if they are Gypsy Moths. However, last night it fell below 40F up here on the mountain, and today there are a lot of them all clumped together and not moving. So I think they huddled up for warmth and then expired. Hooray for temperature sensitivity.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ive been seeing alot of trees in peoples yards with what looks like duct tape around them. Is this some sort of insecticide strip for caterpillars?

They put the tape on backwards and they can't climb them.

Guy

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I received a letter from Pemberton Township a few weeks ago stating that there would be NO aerial spraying for gypsy moths this year due to cuts in state aid and that they could not afford to continue the spraying, thanks to Corzine........

They recommended that you take care of it yourself, hire a company to spray or wrap your trees with burlap.

I've seen trees wrapped with several different items around the area, not sure how any of it works though???