Gypsy Moths

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We have been seeing lots of dead white ones on the trails and roads in the last week. Egg masses on trees at Hampton Furnace and Apple Pie Hill.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Have you noticed the deer flies are way down this year? It's happened before. They lay their eggs near water or dampness, and that's been hard to do lately.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Have you noticed the deer flies are way down this year? It's happened before. They lay their eggs near water or dampness, and that's been hard to do lately.
They were bad a month or so ago but not many now, same for ticks. We've been hiking out by Pine Crest, beautiful trails, hardly a fly and fewer humans.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
They were bad a month or so ago but not many now, same for ticks.

I have noticed the same here on my own property in Atlantic County. The flies were only bad for about a week, it was surprising. And the ticks went away as though somebody flipped a switch, terrible one day, gone the next. They always die down in August, but this seemed especially early for here.

Another random nature observation.... The pine pollen season was remarkably short and light here, the past few years were much heavier, although I recall other light years. Seems like there is less new growth on the pines as well.

Have not really noticed any dead gypsy moths around here.