Gypsy Moths

I'm working in Medford near the intersection of Tuckerton and Stokes. The client has a few trees that are being eaten by these gypsy moths. He really doesn't have it so bad. Just around the corner from him, on Tuckerton Rd, east of Stokes, it looks like a winter scene. Most of the trees are totally bare. On the west side of Stokes the trees look fine. The client said that Medford sprayed for the moths and Shamong did not. If you are in the area you should check it out. I'll try to get some shots tomorrow.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know some of those property owners out that way have quite a few trees, and tall ones, but years ago they were in my moms tree's in her yard and I used a bug spray in a can that sprayed quite far and was able to kill them all. If some of the owners did that early they may have been able to save some of their trees.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
there is some areas up in jackson where the trees are stiped clean also, the state did some large scale arial spraying in these areas, I think there timing was a little off. I went on a estimate today in wall and the peoples landscape was crawling with gypsy moth larva.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Today I was driving into work along route 70 and started to notice gypsy moths making their was across the road. As I focused in I noticed the road was covered with gypsey moths making their way from one side to the other. I tried to run over as many as possible but I became concerned I would get pulled over for drunk driving, serving to hit them and all. I would hate to try explain that to a state trooper: "well officer, you see, I was trying to murder gypsy moth catapillers that were crossing the road, I wasn't drinking, honest"

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We're loaded with them here in Tabernacle. We're thin, but not striped. They're almost all done eating and have begun pupating. Next year will be devestating. Late winter township requested homeoners to report the number of egg masses per acher to decide where to spray. We had hundreds. The neighborhood reported in, and our area had the most respondents in the township, but they did not spray us, nor did they inform us they wouldn't spray, so we could do so privately, nor did they offer us to buy in to their program. No communication at all, the worst, self serving government you could imagine. They always take care of "their" issues.

BT is the only thing the state will spray. Under the best conditions to propagate the virus (a damp spring) it's proponents claim 60% mortality. Fifty % would have made a big difference this year, But due to the explosive population, each egg mass containing 500 eggs, 60% next year will still mean total defoilation.

In the past , 1980's, we privately sprayed with sevin and dimilin. Sevin kills all insects indiscriminantly, bees, fish, ticks (yeah)... must be injested and only works for a few days. Dimilin works on contact with the catapillars skin, distorting it so they can not molt. It stays effective for months and will not harm bees, birds, fish.

With 4 acres and very tall trees, the only approach for us is arial.

Ed

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I notice the oaks out in the pine barrens in Suffolk do seem to have a bit of their foliage eaten. In Flanders, along Rt.24, by Sears-Bellows park, the oaks have been stripped almost bare, almost looked like winter.
Will the oaks grow back their foliage this summer or will it be gone for the season?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A man I work with said that he doesn't understand all the fuss about them killing the trees. He is a golfer and said that years ago when they ate all the leaves on the course he frequented, the leaves were all back by the end of the summer with no damage to the trees.

Guy

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
it's funny this got brought up again cause on friday i was talking to a cooworker of mine who lives in shamong and he too was annoyed that they hadn't sprayed. he said it's so bad on his property he literally won't go outside except to run from his house to his car because of all the falling feces, and mentioned that it always almost sounds like it's raining because of it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is an article from the Central Record that all may want to read.

In my opinion there are a bunch of hypocrites in Indian Mills ( I still call it that.) One resident ( Alan Schwalbe ) is my hero when he so perfectly said this:

"Sometimes you have to take care of yourself," Schwalbe said after the meeting. "I don't expect my government to take care of all my problems. When you're hurt you're always looking for a culprit and it's easy to look at the government. The (lack of) notice issue is the only issue, maybe, that could have been handled better. But I don't expect the government to solve all of my problems.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16799663&BRD=2244&PAG=461&dept_id=453084&rfi=6

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Here is an article from the Central Record that all may want to read.

In my opinion there are a bunch of hypocrites in Indian Mills ( I still call it that.) One resident ( Alan Schwalbe ) is my hero when he so perfectly said this:

"Sometimes you have to take care of yourself," Schwalbe said after the meeting. "I don't expect my government to take care of all my problems. When you're hurt you're always looking for a culprit and it's easy to look at the government. The (lack of) notice issue is the only issue, maybe, that could have been handled better. But I don't expect the government to solve all of my problems.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16799663&BRD=2244&PAG=461&dept_id=453084&rfi=6

Guy

Exactly. Sniff, sniff, my leaves are dying, when will they DO something!

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Tent Caterpillars

bobpbx said:
Exactly. Sniff, sniff, my leaves are dying, when will they DO something!

When I was just a lad, the men in the neighborhood used to wrap turpentine--soaked rags on the ends of clothes props. They lit the rags, and burnt the tent caterpillars in the trees.

Are the gypsy moths the same as tent caterpillars?

ebsi