Haines Bogs Search

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica and I headed out this afternoon, to search again for the southernmost property marker of Haines Bogs. This would be the Beeches Farm property line I believe.

The location was flooded and we had to use our hip waders to wade through a swamp to reach it. One section was much deeper than our waders, and only I was able to continue on to find it. I soon saw it in the distance.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/373-1/IMG_5368.jpg

It was just made of cement and if I had know that I would not have gone to all the trouble we did to get there.

My next agenda was to find out why it was so flooded where it seemed to me it should not have been. We soon reached the waterway that apparently was where the bogs are drained at. There were evidence of Beavers but still no dam.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/378-1/IMG_5370.jpg

But as I expected they may have been causing the flooding.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/381-1/IMG_5376.jpg

The mountain laurel is just starting to bloom, and this area must look really nice when it is in full bloom.

From there we headed to search for the stone that many of us looked for after the Hanover Tour, but I could not find it, and I believe it is gone.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That reminds me Guy. The USGS just put 2 brand new important looking brass markers on Lacey road about 1/2 mile before the bamber crossroads. They inserted them in a column of concrete and put a sign next to them that said: "Witness Post". USGS marker nearby (or something like that). I was walking in the rain and did not have my camera. They look to be about 1/2 mile apart.

I did 6.5 miles in 2 hour 10 minutes tonite.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
That reminds me Guy. The USGS just put 2 brand new important looking brass markers on Lacey road about 1/2 mile before the bamber crossroads. They inserted them in a column of concrete and put a sign next to them that said: "Witness Post". USGS marker nearby (or something like that). I was walking in the rain and did not have my camera. They look to be about 1/2 mile apart.

The next time you are there could you get me the coordinates, and if possible a photo.

Thanks

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:

Very good Bob! I forgot to post when you mentioned your last walk and I am sorry about that. It is nice to see your time and distance.

I have really noticed how much faster and easier my bike riding has become. I am getting back into the shape I was when I rode my bike to work one summer. My wife and younger daughter twice has just got on their bikes and went with me, which is really not much exercise at all. We get done and I am not even breathing hard and they are exhausted. I go all out when I am alone and even chased after a bike rider with the complete gear and a nice bike. I stayed the same distance behind him but never caught him which would have happened if I was just a little younger. I really need a better bike to be able to chase the big guys :) So I am getting ready, and I even noticed my belt needs a new hole :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Good! I hope the weather is just right. About 70 degrees and slightly overcast would be nice. Or, how about 65 and sun?

I don't care if it is 100, as long as there is no rain.

Guy