half way

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hi I"m new here.I"m 39 and have been exploring my own corner of the barrens in cumberland county since I was a wee youngun and all the barrens since I got wheels:)One place I"ve heard of is that old half way supposedly has an old hidden graveyard with iron headboards but I"ve never been able to find it.checke out all around the ponds and south a ways by an obvious old homestead.can"t find it.anyone know where it"s at?
By the way I know where a lot of ruins are in cumberland atlantic and cape may counties that I don"t believe are in becks books if anyone is interested in this area let me know.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As far as I know nobody has ever told any of us the location of the graves at Old Half Way. And I have never heard of anyone ever knowing the location. But you may be thinking of the grave of Charles Wills and that has iron railings around the grave to protect it. Here is a photo of it that I took in 1978.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/Charles9_78.jpg

That is not at Old Half Way it is near Friendship.

Nice to see you posting. There is at least one member down that way who may be interested in your knowledge. So keep posting and feel free to join in. By the way at 39 you are younger than at least 3 of the members I know of and that includes me. So the average age of this group is rising. :wink:

Guy

B

BarryC

Hi,
I'm also 39, but just for another few days or so. I'm in Atlantic County, near Egg Harbor City. I know of a lot of ruins, but I'm interested in hearing what you know about, particularly in Atlantic and Cumberland Counties.
Nice to meet you,
Barry
manumuskin said:
Hi I"m new here.I"m 39 and have been exploring my own corner of the barrens in cumberland county since I was a wee youngun and all the barrens since I got wheels:)One place I"ve heard of is that old half way supposedly has an old hidden graveyard with iron headboards but I"ve never been able to find it.checke out all around the ponds and south a ways by an obvious old homestead.can"t find it.anyone know where it"s at?
By the way I know where a lot of ruins are in cumberland atlantic and cape may counties that I don"t believe are in becks books if anyone is interested in this area let me know.
Al

B

bach2yoga

manumuskin,
I'm in cumberland county as well, vineland, and have been doing some exploring in this area a bit recently as well.
Take it you like the manumuskin river? Do you hike the preserve at all?
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
answers to all

No I"m not looking for Charle Wills grave. I know where that is.I read in one of my many books on the area (the title escapes me) that there is an old graveyard hidden in the woods around union clay works or old half way and on the gallery section of this website theirs actually some pics of tombstones that claim to be at old half way.been to the area twice looking and only turned up some cellar holes and sewer pipes.
Yes i do hike the preserve and did name myself after the creek.I"ve jumped in and floated the creek fro bennetts mill to potters cabin andtook a few swallows along the way.supposedly the purest water in NJ.I"m from laurel lake by the way:)
as to where i no some areas.I know a lot of ruins in the belleplain tuckahoe areas.also I know of a real neat cellar hole out in the manumuskin preserve and quite a few holes and ruins in the millville (bevan) game reserve and a few in peaslees plus quite a few other areas that are coming to mind.I was turned loos in the woods at the age of 8 and was moved all over cumberland county to expose me to marshes,swamps and woods and when i got my license i hit the barrens proper.I"m still discovering stuff.I like taking a topo and a compass and bellying down in swamps and such and seeing what turns up.This site has given me a few more things to find I didnt know about.
AL
ps in atlantic county i know a really neat ruin with a spring surfacing under it that can be dived with a light and a wetsuit (I"m a caver) and it goes back for about 50 yards into almost complete darkness with about 8 inches of airspace and some big fish in there too.it"s on the banks of the egg harbor in the city park.a lot of ruins all around there.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I assume you have been to the abandoned cranberry mill on Weatherby Road? Have you checked out the site of Etna furnace?

-Benny

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes I have

Yes I"ve been to aetna furnace and found several cellar holes up and down the creek on both sides of 49.I"ve also snuk into the old cranberry packing house with a flashlight and found old cranberry boxes and magazines which is surprising with all the locals around there,I figured evrything woulda been gone.theirs also some old equipment left in there.
Al

B

bach2yoga

answers to all

manumuskin said:
No I"m not looking for Charle Wills grave. I know where that is.I read in one of my many books on the area (the title escapes me) that there is an old graveyard hidden in the woods around union clay works or old half way and on the gallery section of this website theirs actually some pics of tombstones that claim to be at old half way.been to the area twice looking and only turned up some cellar holes and sewer pipes.
Yes i do hike the preserve and did name myself after the creek.I"ve jumped in and floated the creek fro bennetts mill to potters cabin andtook a few swallows along the way.supposedly the purest water in NJ.I"m from laurel lake by the way:)
as to where i no some areas.I know a lot of ruins in the belleplain tuckahoe areas.also I know of a real neat cellar hole out in the manumuskin preserve and quite a few holes and ruins in the millville (bevan) game reserve and a few in peaslees plus quite a few other areas that are coming to mind.I was turned loos in the woods at the age of 8 and was moved all over cumberland county to expose me to marshes,swamps and woods and when i got my license i hit the barrens proper.I"m still discovering stuff.I like taking a topo and a compass and bellying down in swamps and such and seeing what turns up.This site has given me a few more things to find I didnt know about.
AL
ps in atlantic county i know a really neat ruin with a spring surfacing under it that can be dived with a light and a wetsuit (I"m a caver) and it goes back for about 50 yards into almost complete darkness with about 8 inches of airspace and some big fish in there too.it"s on the banks of the egg harbor in the city park.a lot of ruins all around there.

I grew up not too far from you--less than a mile from the Buckshutem/Cedarville Road intersection, headed toward Cedarville.

The foundations on Manumuskin Preserve are probably remnants of the Fries Mill Settlement.

Have you found the one tombstone of the African American cemetery in Port Elizabeth? Also, the church near Cumberland Furnace has a large number of bog iron gravestones that are really interesting.

The iron from Cumberland Furnace and Forges was shipped out of Schooner's Landing. Supposedly there is a lot of interesting stuff at the actual Schooner's Landing, where there are some pits and so forth that were used for molding but they are on private property--geez, what's his name? He owns Kirby's bar in Millville--the name escapes me at the moment--and he is none too fond of people on his property, will prosecute in a minute, and is reputed to have a temper.

I have an 1842 copy of a map from the Aetna furnace area that is interesting--has all of those places listed where there should be cellar holes, etc, the saw mill, Shaw's "Stopping Place", etc. What is curious to me is that the Baptist cemetery, which is across the street from Head of River Methodist Cemetery, supposedly never had a church to go with it according to Father Beck, yet my map shows a Baptist church on it.

I've never done caving underwater, though I did have my scuba license at one time. It sounds like a lot of fun! I lived in Missouri for 3 years and spent many weekends spelunking.

There are a lot of ruins in that area in Atl. County--besides Belcoville, there are also a number of taverns and so forth mentioned in Absegami Yesteryear.

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
kirbys

no it"s not fries mill I"m talking about.it"s a hole on kirby"s property just south of menantico and yes he is a butthole.long story there between me an him.
is the african cemetery you speak of the one a half mi in the woods south of stagecoach road and about a mi past hunters mill road.in the woods and no sign of trail,non native plants or any sign that man has ever lived there?weird gravesite.theirs actually 4 stones with only 1 partially legible.1790 date.
didnt know cumberland had a frunace.Where?south side of 49?is that what all that disturbed soil back in there was?
would like to see your etna map.never heard of shaws stopping place.followed the canal found a lotta cellars but dont know the history as well as you.
I dont cave dive.not qualified for that.i wet cave in a wetsuit to avoid hypothermia.been caving since 82.also into wilderness survival and primitive skills.
you obviously know atlantic county better then me.I am aware of a ruin east of 50 and on the north bank of south river.heard what is was but forget now???
If you want the low down on kirby e mail me.He's pretty old now if he"s still alive.he"s my uncles cousin.never actually met him but heard stories.he"s supposed to be after me:)He knows where i live so he must not want me too bad:)
Al

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Hey guys...

Dont forget about me, your youngest Atlantic County resident (on this board). I am very interested in Atlantic co history ecspecially finding ruins. I know the Weymouth Twp area well and I am thinking of joining the historical society. Feel free to fill me in on your favorite ruins sites so I can explore some new stuff in my area. I love these sites: Catawba, Brick Factory, Nudist Colony, Belcoville/Estellville, Etna Furnace, and the cranberry packing plant in cumberland. Also, being young, I read Weird NJ but I dont really like it that much, I just like the concept. I have "explored" many abandoned buildings along route 30 that I found just cruising along the white horse pike. There are some old railroad bridges along there that are a great spot to eat lunch. Let me know if anyone here has any interest in this kind of stuff in addition to historical explorations..

-Benny

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Benny,

You're probably not much younger than I am. I'm only 25.

We're (well, at least me) interested in all of the stuff in the Pine Barrens - from nature to history to the "weird". Just leave the Nazi's, Satan Worshippers, and UFO's to WeirdNJ. :)

-ben

B

bach2yoga

kirbys

manumuskin said:
no it"s not fries mill I"m talking about.it"s a hole on kirby"s property just south of menantico and yes he is a butthole.long story there between me an him.
is the african cemetery you speak of the one a half mi in the woods south of stagecoach road and about a mi past hunters mill road.in the woods and no sign of trail,non native plants or any sign that man has ever lived there?weird gravesite.theirs actually 4 stones with only 1 partially legible.1790 date.
didnt know cumberland had a frunace.Where?south side of 49?is that what all that disturbed soil back in there was?
would like to see your etna map.never heard of shaws stopping place.followed the canal found a lotta cellars but dont know the history as well as you.
I dont cave dive.not qualified for that.i wet cave in a wetsuit to avoid hypothermia.been caving since 82.also into wilderness survival and primitive skills.
you obviously know atlantic county better then me.I am aware of a ruin east of 50 and on the north bank of south river.heard what is was but forget now???
If you want the low down on kirby e mail me.He's pretty old now if he"s still alive.he"s my uncles cousin.never actually met him but heard stories.he"s supposed to be after me:)He knows where i live so he must not want me too bad:)
Al

Hmm...I'd like to find the cemetery you're talking about...the one I mentioned is in Port Elizabeth adjacent to the site that used to have another cemetery--not the forgotten RC cemetery--near Railroad Ave and Church Ave, though, like the RC cemetery.
Have you seen the one on the right if you head down Back Neck Rd in Fairton toward the PSEG property? There is a church historical sign by the road, 1680. The front markers are newer (meaning late 1700s!) but if you head back into the woods there is a whole other cemetery with even older markers. The PSEG property is cool in the early spring, there is a wooded area that is beautiful, with literally hundreds of lady slippers in bloom.

I'd be interested to hear the Kirby story. Still can't remember his name... TNC likes having him for a neighbor though. :) He's still alive and kicking.

I'll try to dig up the map in the next couple of days when I get a chance.
You and Benny should try to get a copy of Absegami Yesteryear from amazon used or abebooks or the historical society.
Places mentioned: Franklin Inn, Peter Steelmans, Snells, Emmelville, Indian Cabin, etc., Joe Mulliner's grave, Shaler Grave, West's mystery at Catawba, Old churches, Kate Aylesford Mansion, Old Customs House, Clark's Graves, Estellville, Gloucester Etna and Weymouth Furnace, etc.

Cumberland Furnace is also known as Eli Budd's furnace. Cumberland County has a website where you can get the history on it, under historical register or something. Cumberland Furnace is on TNC property on 49 across from the Pond. Yes, there has been illegal digging recently, and the TNC has no intentions of tolerating it, quite rightly. Next to that is a clearing where the grist mill used to be. Down Union Road is a dirt "road" (with lots of logs and very narrow-worse than going to Nash's cabin!) called Forge Road that is tore my Jeep up a bit, and one of the forges is there. The furnace is right before you get to the river, where the crooked foot bridge is that has been used for ATVs. That's state property. About a mile upstream is another forge connected with the furnace, which I believe is probably the older of the two. I haven't had a chance to look for that yet.
re: aetna, you can find the traces of the raceways still, that is probably what you followed to the cellar holes.

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
old cemetery

renee,
I can either take you to the cemetery personally or if your real good with a topo map you may be able to find it on your own.about 100 yards from dirt road on map and it is on private property though no one really cares till hunting season.then everybody in that area gets real teritorial.do you want me to put up a topozone link with the cemetery marked with a red cross or would you prefer a guide?I could also send you a map file e-mail with it marked. would be intersted in this place near fairton and any others you have tucked away in your head.I have a few in the game reserve tucked away and have downloaded maps from this site and found that some of them were in a town called baileytown.one appears to be either a factory or a quite large house by old standards.I also like following old roads that have become a challenge to follow or are at least undrivable.
If you prefer the guide me and my wife would be glad to show you.it"s about a 10 minute walk off of 347.you wont get wet but the deer flies are out in hordes now.
Al

Benny I would gladly show you areas I know anytime we can get together.I know a lot of area because I"m a chronic bushwacker and explorer and hence blunder onto a lot of places unexpectedly and I have a mind that thinks in map mode all the time so i remember.I am a novice at the history end but am learning what I can.would be nice to have the stories to go with the cellar holes I"ve almost fallen into on occasion.
Al