Halgas Scout Reservation

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting. I wonder what the donator thinks about that?

That is a nice property. I was thinking while exploring there why the Boy Scouts would even want it other than eventually selling it. And now they are.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
That property & some others owned by BSA are forced into being sold to cover costs of the lawsuit some years ago. I received an email some months ago from BSA Garden State Council that Halgas & Roosevelt would be sold. Pine Hill will remain. Sad.
And yes, I wonder what the Halgas family thinks.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm not very familiar with that area, but looks like a nice chunk of land, it includes a Natural Heritage Priority Site. Note the cryptic "SOLD P/L CREDIT". Does that mean "sold for pinelands credits"? Is that a transaction where somebody preserves a piece of pinelands property in order to sell another?

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#16/39.776003/-74.398973/parcels07/0/0/

Price is about $3600/acre. I have no idea... what would a reasonable price be for a similar parcel of that size?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Welcome to AI chat:

1695060947000.png

No development would be allowed. Could agriculture be started? Maybe, but there is likely surveys to be done (that may nix it), and I think the uproar would lead to the state paying whatever it takes.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks. So, "SOLD P/L CREDIT" means that the development rights (PDC's) for this parcel were sold and used to develop another piece of land?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks. So, "SOLD P/L CREDIT" means that the development rights (PDC's) for this parcel were sold and used to develop another piece of land?
In essence yes, but they can do agriculture (blueberries) if it's suitable and there is no T&E (I think I'm right on the T&E, not positive). Once the seller of the land gets his credits in return for giving up his rights, he can sell them to someone needing them to develop in suitable areas. Thats the way I see it.

Reactions: Boyd

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Always wonder if T/E surveys are required for agriculture use. Would be great to know the answer. Always wonder how the cedar clear cuts happen knowing there is a bunch of timber rattlesnakes in those areas denning.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Always wonder if T/E surveys are required for agriculture use. Would be great to know the answer. Always wonder how the cedar clear cuts happen knowing there is a bunch of timber rattlesnakes in those areas denning.

I am uncertain on that. I suspect the one cut that stopped abruptly may have been watched because I was sent photos of 6 or more rattlesnakes laying at the location, or so I have been told that was the location. You I am sure know where I mean Dragon.