Hammock the Batona

PineClark

Jun 9, 2017
Manalapan
I'm hoping to finally hike the Batona Trail in the next couple months.... maybe summer if it comes down to it.

My plan is to use a hammock for it. From what I've seen of some of the campsites in those areas, there seem to be plenty of trees. Any reason for concern specifically on the Batona?? I would think that all those along the trail are hammock friendly as well. But I figured I might as well ask the question.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This weekend, and for the second time this year there was a large group of hammock campers at Batona Camp. It is quite normal.

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We had a man on here that hiked the Batona almost every week.I forget his name but I have not seen him post in quite some time.Guy and i ran into him years ago on the trail while we were hunting for stones along the trail. Was it Kayak Karl? I forget but I know any questions on the trail He'd be the man to ask.I"ve hiked the entire thing three times and several section many times but I"ve never camped at Batona Camp. It is an open area with plenty of pines and you pretty much can camp anywhere within the designated area.It's not like this is a site and this is a site so you can pick your trees.I"m sure you can find two at the right distance for a hammock

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I've seen plenty of hammock campers at Batona 12 months of the year. I'm hiking from Batsto to Bass River this weekend. No hammock though.

PineClark

Jun 9, 2017
Manalapan
Since we are talking about Batona, I've read some old posts that it might not be safe to leave my car at Ongs Hat for 4 days? I'd rather park there then Bass River.... but I would pick my car NOT being broken into.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, if someone sees it there for more than a day they might feel safe bothering it.

4 days seems like a long time to leave a car out there. You might want to have someone drop you off.

TrailBlaser

Nov 13, 2019
CAnoes54?
I am new to the NJPB. I'd like to do a weekend overnighter, out-and-back, 5-8 miles each way. My plan would be to hike in on Saturday, (hammock) camp and then hike back on Sunday. What would you suggest as a good route choice? Thanks.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Batsto, north to Quaker Bridge or south to Evans Bridge. Leave your car at Batsto and tell the office. North you can stay at the Mullica River Wilderness camp site.