Hampton Furnace

I went looking for Hampton Furnace Saturday afternoon. I found some ruins, but I'm not sure whether they're Hampton Furnace or not.

I don't want to give out too much information and break any board rules. I followed the road that is supposed to lead back to Hampton Furnace. I followed it back approximately 3 or 3.5 miles and passed over two bridges along the way. I found some ruins on the righthand side of the road. I compared them to the to the two images of the Hampton Furnace in the Image Gallery here and they look quite different.

If anyone is really familiar with the Hampton Furnace, I would appreciate it if you would look at my three pictures and let me know if it is in fact Hampton Furnace. If not, would you have any idea what this is in the photos?

Thanks,
Mark

http://www.markfletcher.net/images/hampton1.jpg

http://www.markfletcher.net/images/hampton2.jpg

http://www.markfletcher.net/images/hampton3.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mike,

You were at Hampton Furnace. That building was built many years later when the cranberry companies arrived there. The furnace is long gone but you can find slag in the road by the bridge right there. The field along that road has numerous foundations and holes in them if you walk around.

If you take the road that is right behind the foundation in your picture, you will come to the Jersey Central tracks, where if you get out of your car and walk left on the tracks, you will come to the Batsto river bridge. Let me explain this better.

If you are facing the foundation in your photo from the road, with the bridge to your right, cross the bridge, go around the corner left, and a short distance ahead on your left is a road. Take that to the end and park on the left, cross the little stream up to the tracks and walk left. The bridge is right there.

Guy

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I found Hampton Furnace by mistake 2 years ago. Someone told me about foundations off Rt. 206 (which I later found out was Atsion). All he said was to take a dirt road...never mentioned which one. Well, we took the wrong one, but we did find Hampton and the Carranza Monument.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
Quaker Bridge Road?

Great place. My girlfriend and I found them by accident too. Amazing stuff. Found the abandoned tracks also. Then we took some trail off by the Cemetary on 206 up the street, I believe it was quaker bridge road, the amazing thing, we wound up near Batsto Village. Anyone know what road I wound up on to get there? I tried following maps but I am stumped. We went over a small wooden bridge, which didnt even know it was a wooden bridge till we got out and saw spikes sticking out of the sand. Then we went over a Metal bridge, assuming this was Quaker bridge? About 25 minutes later, the trail started getting smaller and hit lots of soft sand, where we wound up near the historic Batsto village on a trail near a gun range. What road was that??!? lol

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Quaker Bridge Road?

gagliarchives said:
Great place. My girlfriend and I found them by accident too. Amazing stuff. Found the abandoned tracks also. Then we took some trail off by the Cemetary on 206 up the street, I believe it was quaker bridge road, the amazing thing, we wound up near Batsto Village. Anyone know what road I wound up on to get there? I tried following maps but I am stumped. We went over a small wooden bridge, which didnt even know it was a wooden bridge till we got out and saw spikes sticking out of the sand. Then we went over a Metal bridge, assuming this was Quaker bridge? About 25 minutes later, the trail started getting smaller and hit lots of soft sand, where we wound up near the historic Batsto village on a trail near a gun range. What road was that??!? lol

Quaker Bridge Rd.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
I'm not seeing Quaker bridge road there. The only roads that came out of batsto going in the direction towards 206, are Mullica River road, Atsion road, which i was told is a dead end, Goodwater road, And Batsto Lake road. Keep in mind, this is going from Batsto towards 206 through Wharton, going in a northwest direction. Just bizzare to wind up Batsto...I know I crossed the Batona trail once, I saw the little sign...but..just curious I guess. Thanks for the help

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After Quaker Bridge you most likely turned right off of Quaker Bridge Road just past the bridge. This takes you across a bridge that is actually part of the Batona Trail. The road from there goes to Batsto.

Guy