Hampton Station and Rider's Switch

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Is it true that in "The Trail of the Blue Comet" they say that Hampton Station was in operation from the 1860's until about 1875, then reopened at the same location a few decades later as "Rider's Switch" or "Rider's Siding"? If someone who has that book could check and please let me know. The reason I ask, I was looking at some old maps and most show Hampton Station on the other side of the Batsto River from where Rider's Switch must have been. It doesn't seem as though HS was as far down as High Crossing but clearly on the other side of the river.

Another thing. Am I the only one who always envisioned (incorrectly I might add) the railroad having been built from the opposite direction? It just seems so natural to think of the rails extending north and east into the pines instead of coming from the other direction.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oriental said:
Another thing. Am I the only one who always envisioned (incorrectly I might add) the railroad having been built from the opposite direction? It just seems so natural to think of the rails extending north and east into the pines instead of coming from the other direction.

I assume you are using the fact that the mile markers went up when you headed west, or is there other info you have?

Guy