Harrisville Lake Parking Area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Went by the parking area this morning and the state is blocking off the lake with the same large wooden fence that was used to block off Jemima and the various spongs that have been invaded by off road vehicles. It appears you now will no longer be able to get your vehicle near the lake. There appears to be openings for accessing the lake with kayaks and such. I just drove by and did not get a photo.

In reality, it most likely is a good thing. It was too easy for anyone to drive right in.

Guy

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I liked it the old way. :(
Me too! I first went to Harrisville over 50 years ago and the large parking area was never a problem, at least that I ever witnessed. Lots of folks with few resources used that as their swimming hole and picnics, etc, and removing the parking area removes much of its access, it’s ashamed that it is being taken away. More and more in NJ, if you don’t pay you can’t play.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think the reason it is being taken away is because of the idiots we see more and more of.

Yesterday, Jessica and I went to check out the fire from last week and as we passed the Oswego Lake recreation area I noticed a vehicle that looked like Manumuskin's. There was a man next to it I did not recognize so I continued on until Jessica yelled for me to stop. Turns out it was Manumuskin in the vehicle! We talked a little while with Al and his friend, and eventually we decided to follow them to a place they were going to.

We were really remote, parking at an intersection, and less than a minute after getting out of our vehicles an ATV came down one of the road to the intersection. I was closest and looking in his eyes I could see disgust or fear in his eyes and quickly stepped off the road. He rounded the turn at a high rate of speed and hit the throttle sending dirt flying. Jessica who had been standing in the road had to scamper alongside my car as the dirt came flying at her. She was hit by it as he took off without a care in the world for us. He was someone who could have killed us and kept right on going and slept well at night. These are the individuals the state and all of us have to deal with.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
He was hispanic and possibly mexican.I was told later in the day by park police that stopped to ask me about dirt bikes that i had possibly seen in the area.I told him about this encounter and he said He believes mexican workers are living in Sims Place so I wonder if this guy who looked young possibly came on us unawares since he would not have seen us till he was about to exit the road.He may have been scared thinking we were the police.he could have been arrested for an illegal bike on public roads or possibly an illegal alien as well so fear may have been what was seen in his eyes.I know he saw us,put his head down and gunned it. headed generally back towards Sims.He did piss me off when he threw dirt on Jess He passed right between us and we were maybe eight feet apart but the direction of his arc meant she got most of the dirt.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. I should have said recreation area. I will change it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Tee, where is the fence placed? On both sides of the spillway? Along the road shoulder? Is there room to unload a boat? We were planning on our going to train the dog in the canoe this week. Thanks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just drove by so I don't know how far it was from the waters edge but it is close. It stretches the complete length as far as I could tell. They were working on it as we passed. Hopefully, someone will pass along photos. I will get them next week.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We were down that way so swung past. They did a very nice job with the barricades, plenty of room, enough for a semi or a hot dog truck ;); right of the spillway had several small openings and one large that a trailer could fit thru, picture 1. Left of the spillway had it along the spillway, nothing on the shorefront, picture 2. Just wish all the shade wasn't gone.

167404927.jpg

167404928.jpg

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I wonder what the goal,of this work/expense is? They left plenty of room for parking, etc. which is a good thing. Is the fence to stress the no “swimming here” policy? (I have never seen this enforced, even when the rangers are onsite). It might be making an established area for all of the canoe rentals to unload.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They would need access for emergency vehicles such as putting a boat in.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The entire project was for dam restoration and repair; $1,000,000 worth. The fence is probably to help control erosion along the dams face, but will also be a good place to back the truck in, put up an umbrella tent for some shade, sit in a zero gravity chair and prop up your feet. :cool:

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
If preventing driving into the lake or even to protect the dam, they missed one side of the smaller dam area. Maybe they’ll be back to do that side too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The other side of the spillway is not part of the dam. They did put in some fencing alongside the spillway as is in the 2nd picture.