Hawkin Swamp Part 2, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On April Fools Day Bob posted our next trip. Here is an edited version.

Since we only saw half of the Manahawkin Swamp trip, Chris and I want to do Part II this year, on Saturday April 20th.

This part is 3.2 miles as the crow flies. Much more relaxed to look over any evidence of old farms and homes. It will still be 5 miles all said and done the way we meander.
So lets meet at End at 8:45 AM, and we’ll bring what vehicles we need up to Park to start. More on that when we get a head count.

I’ve built in a trip to a small Island. Not sure we can get to it, but it looks interesting.
Hope to see you there…..Happy Trails!
Bob

If you did not read about the first portion a few weeks ago you may want to look at that first.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/hawkin-swamp-a-pbx-hike.9136/

On this trip we had the one and only Lost Town Hunter with us who everyone was happy to see. Also along from PBX was Mickey, bobpbx, Hewey, RednekF350, pinelandpaddler, Woodjin, myself (TeeGate), and Jessica.

Crossing an old wooden bridge in a swamp.

IMG_2581.JPG

Chris checking out a huge tree that most likely fell over during Sandy. There were many just like this.

IMG_2582.JPG

The view from the other side.

IMG_2585.JPG

Mickey found this injured salamander. It appears a bird or some other animal took a chunk out if it. I doubt it will live long.

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

There were at least three very nice and interesting old homesteads along our planned route and at one of them was this old locust post. We were figuring there may have been cows there.

IMG_2595.JPG

Checking out the bricks in the ruins. This was an old location ...most likely 100 years ago or more.

IMG_2602.JPG

This tree was growing right in the house.

IMG_2603.JPG

Jessica and Chris at lunch. Notice the huge cellar hole for this particular home.

IMG_2604.JPG

And the next location had an intact wall much of the way around it. Well built and old.

IMG_2605.JPG

We traveled along the Forsythe boundary and Scott noticed this.

IMG_2608.JPG

And unfortunately we found chemicals. Here is Lost Town Hunter and Bob checking them out.

IMG_2611.JPG

One of my favorite places along the route .... a holly grove.

IMG_2612.JPG

Jessica taking the grove all in.

IMG_2613.JPG

Visitors from 3/10/1990. Does anyone know them???

IMG_2614.JPG

Along the way we found this bug. After getting home I noticed the shot was taken just as it was relieving itself.

IMG_2617.JPG

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It was part two in one of the most unique woods I have experienced in Southern Jersey.
Mature hardwoods, mysterious and now vanished agricultural history and transitions into the salt environment made for a very interesting day.
The addition of Ted Gordon to the crew was a true bonus and we bent his ear all day with our questions.
Thanks again to Bob and Chris for putting together a trip that will be hard to beat.

Some pics.

Here is the PBX version of a filed sobriety test. Everyone passed, at this point in the day anyway.

Our perpetually happy leader.

Mickey and I next to the Big Daddy Dead Tree.

One of the highlights of the day was bumping into Bill Gates in the woods as we approached the salt line. Who knew he had a penchant for exploring South Jersey ? Bill was very gracious and sat with us for awhile on some chairs we found blown into the woods by Sandy last fall.
After we got comfortable I asked a burning question; "Bill, Windows 8. What the hell were you thinking ?
He smiled and said, " With Jobs on the other side of the dirt now, I figured I would try to appease all of the dolts of this world and make a computer look and act like an iPhone. Of course it doesn't work worth a shit but hey, I have made enough money in this game and I am entitled to do something stupid. Besides, I know Jobs can't sue me from the afterlife !"
Jess is thinking, "Man, I can't believe how much this guy looks like my dad !"
Here is the very happy Bill.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
It was another great day exploring the Manakawkin Swamp. At the start of the week it looked like this hike was going to be rained out for the planned day. The forecast changed, and it turned out to be a fine day for exploring in the largest section of unbroke maritime forest in South Jersey. It was a great pleasure having Ted Gordon along for the day!

Jeff testing the bottom at our first water crossing.

The trees within the Manahakin Swamp are amazing!

A unique American Holly.

The Ugly Tree.

A grove of Persimmon.

A long ago cut stump that peaked my interest.

Upon closer inspection I could tell a bird or animal enjoyed a crab meal upon it.

One of the more difficult crossings of the day.

Jeff, Ted, and Gabe engaged in conversation during lunch along side of the large cellar hole.

The site of a long ago forgotten homestead.

A neat little creek we crossed during the day.

Manahawkin Swamp starting to wake up from its winter slumber. In a few weeks the swamp will not be fit for man or beast! The bugs will eat you alive.

The Route 72 bridge in the distance.

Chris

Reactions: Teegate and John

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice shots, Chris. I noticed that you and i took similar shots throughout the hike. I'll try not to post repeats. That was a great hike that you and Bob put together.

8675858611_890e88ec38_c.jpg

8675843881_b581f42001_c.jpg

8676939876_73b113669a_c.jpg

8675837411_ba31f8cd5a_c.jpg

some wash ups. presumably from Sandy
8676950040_2f3849c275_c.jpg

8675854035_d0f94e9bed_c.jpg

8675856335_9fca8f99fc_c.jpg

a maple growing inside a cedar. Gabe said we can name it cederple (see-der-pull).
8676946128_5ef9ea9f2a_c.jpg

Lost town hunter pushing over a pitch pine
8675830267_3f37631065_c.jpg

8675832913_43ac49d3ce_c.jpg

old stove part
8676929590_47bb292a9f_c.jpg

investigating an old homestead
8675817739_cebd612553_c.jpg

your great grandparents weren't even born yet when these sandstones were laid in place.
8675828117_a66216dbc9_c.jpg

18th century piney welcome mat.
8675821181_725ff48d5b_c.jpg

Reactions: Hewey and Teegate

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Great pics boys.
I still don't quite know why but I am drawn to that woods like no other in South Jersey. It is full of beauty and mystery at the same time.
I say we do it again in the fall, in reverse !