Hedger House history

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Checked the Forum for historical info about the Hedger House and didn't find any. How old is the present building? Was there an earlier version of the building on the present site? Were there any incidents of note (ignoring bar fights, inside or out)? What was the construction date of the earliest building on the site? Etc.?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
From Boyer's Place Names in Burlington County:

HEDGER HOUSE : A former way station on old stage road to Manahawkin north of CHATSWORTH and just south of S-40 [now Rt. 70] in northern part of WOODLAND. The old hotel is now gone [this was written circa 1955] but there are a tavern and several houses. The place was probably run by a man named Hedger. In the Martha Furnace Diary of September 10, 1811 we find the following entry. "Owen Hedger taken with a warrant. Mr. Evans took pity on the poor fellow and kept him from dungeon."

Edit: If you look at the map I linked to you can see that the stage road goes to Tuckerton, not Manahawkin. (This isn't the famous Tuckerton Stage road, either.)

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bear in mind that there were at least three workers at Martha named Hedger round that time: Owen, Joshua, and Mary. Owen and Joshua seem to have been involved with hauling ore. Mary worked in the kitchen. This all comes from the Martha Furnace Diary transcription in Iron in the Pines which you can read online here.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks to all for the very interesting history and related stuff.
Not only did this illuminate Hedger House but I had no idea that 563 was an early route to Tuckerton. What/Where did it originate? There was no 4 mile circle in the late 1700's.... A guess is that there was a hamlet called Four Mile (from where?) located there, with SR 40/70 being a main road/trail. Good guess?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Route 563 in front of the Hedger House was originally called Pemberton Road in old deeds. And the road today is not in the same location as it was years ago. The road actually was about 30 feet further east at least in the area of the Hedger House.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bisbee again:

FOUR MILE: Formerly known as FOUR MILE HOLLOW. Located in north central WOODLAND, two miles southeast of ONG'S HAT CIRCLE. The only justification for the name appears from the fact that the spot is exactly four miles from BUTLER PLACE on old maps. It was probably a "coach stop" in the old days along the stage road that led through BUTLER PLACE, TIBBS WATERING HOLE, HEDGER HOUSE, and on to MANAHAWKIN.

Near FOUR MILE is "Four Mile Colony," state institution for feeble-minded. Here our less fortunate children are given opportunities to develop to the best of their abilities. Here training in farm and industry are taught under careful supervision. Here is one of many state institutions where our Jersey tax dollar is well invested. (lol)

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
The ad for the Hedger House is pretty clear that the Liquor license is included in the price....I am a little surprised as I was under the impression that the license had been sold to another party. From the same Realtor...the PIC II for sale as well. Not the right time for me but interesting to own a turn key "historic" (1940) bar. http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20241173/386-388-White-Horse-Pike-Hammonton-NJ/

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Some great bars in the pines have all closed recently. Shame cause i have enjoyed a cold beer in most of them. The green bank, hedger house, and my personal favorite the woodshed. But we still have a few good ones like lower bank, poor Billy's, the pic is good for food. Who knows maybe someone will buy them and reopen them. Highly unlikely but one can only hope.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Highly unlikely but one can only hope.

Isn't there a movement in the assembly to lower the alcohol content for drunk driving considerably? That will put a damper on things.

The thing with these far-flung bars is that they either attract undesirables or repel the well-heeled.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
PS: it is probably worth it to an investor to grab it, bulldoze the grounds, and wait for a buyer. That building looks like it would be better off razed.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Great point Bob. alot of states are looking to lower the BAC levels to try curb drunk driving. Utah just passed a .05 limit so that is defintely a deterrent to potential owners.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was in the Pic last week and the outside of that place needs a little work. The one entrance door is falling off as well as other cosmetic issues.