hello all

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
i just found your great website...im a native from south jersey..lived in marlton most of my life and recently moved to tuckerton. ive read about all the posts in forgotten places..i had no idea that these places were there..i live right off of 539...if anyone is going to any of these places soon let me know if you would like some company..pasadena has me intriged as well as the blue hole...well thanx for the great website...ps..anyone know anything about tomlinson mill in marlton..i used to fish there in the early 70s and there was nothing there but a foundation or two...just wondering about its history and timeframe...thanx again...tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
capttom said:
i just found your great website...im a native from south jersey..lived in marlton most of my life and recently moved to tuckerton. ive read about all the posts in forgotten places..i had no idea that these places were there..i live right off of 539...if anyone is going to any of these places soon let me know if you would like some company..pasadena has me intriged as well as the blue hole...well thanx for the great website...ps..anyone know anything about tomlinson mill in marlton..i used to fish there in the early 70s and there was nothing there but a foundation or two...just wondering about its history and timeframe...thanx again...tom

I grew up in Marlton and lived there from 1957 until 1982 when I got married. I would ride my bike to Tomlinson Mill all the time in the late 60's and very early 70's. I don't have that info in my head, but I have some old maps and such with dates on it that I can dig out. I also know who I believe is the best historian of Marlton's recent past who has quite a bit of knowledge in his head that I can ask.

When did you move to Marlton or first live there? I grew up across from Allison Apartments before the apartmens were there. Actually, I lived there before Marlton had a police force, and when all of the farms were still in operation.

Here is a website I made years ago when I was learning html.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/mh/

Here is my other one.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/hd/

And here is a few from the man who is the historian. Check out the volunteer police force, it is Mayberry! I have met some of them and even worked with one of the men.

http://hometown.aol.com/jsf0864/page6.html

Guy

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
wow thanx for the quick reply...those sites look great that will give me something to read tonight...i was born in marlton in 1961..we lived in heritage village then..went to church hill for kindergarten...i lived 7 or 8 houses from it and to this day still dont know the real name of it..we moved to brush hollow in 69.... marlton is much too busy for my tastes now..i hate even driving through it anymore..my parents remember alot more than me about marlton back then..i just remeber alot of farms and cornfields....i used to go play at the nike base. that was a neat place...so anyway im still wondering about tomlinson mill...i see theyve made it part of the green acres project now.......tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will check on Tomlinson Mill. Actually I already have and can't find my maps. But I will be able to get them because they were sent to me.

Here are three photo's that I took of the Nike Base in 1975 and they were pieced together after I gave permission to use them to the historian I know.

http://ph32.homestead.com/page5.html

Guy

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
brings back alot of memerios...do you know the church i was refering to in the other post...its at the end of marlboro ave...behing the kmart....that was a neat place back then...and there was also a little shack or house on the other side of 73 ..the best way to describe it is to say if u were heading to 73 from plymouth you would be looking rite at it....that was a spooky old place...i wasnt old enough to cross 73 at the time so i never went in it before it got knocked down....boy marlton is sure differnt now...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The mansion by Kmart is the Tomlinson Mansion which is owned by the Methodist Church.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/MUMC_mansion.jpg

The original Methodist Church was on Main Street when I was a member there. The church bought the Tomlinson Mansion and built the church next to it. My mom taught Sunday School there with Edna Wirth who's dad wrote "The History of Evesham Township." Edna Wirth had her dad autograph a copy for me which I still have. Both her and her daughters are into the history of Marlton, but sadly Edna has Alzheimers.

Here is the newest addition to the church.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/MUMC_addition.jpg

While building the addition, apparently it did some major damage to the mansion itself, and I was informed in the past two weeks that the congregation wants to demolish the mansion because it is no longer safe. I am not sure what the preservationists think about that.

Here is the inside of the mansion.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/mansion_interior.jpg

I am not sure where you are talking about on 73.

Guy

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
that looks like the place..i went to kindergarten there in 67 or 68..and my sister went a couple of years before me...im not sure but i think that it was in the mansion...not the church..and mrs wirth sounds very familiar...wonder if she tuaght kindergarten as well....ive got to get back to see it in the next couple of days...im off till next week so thats definatly on my list......if you drove drove down plymouth with the mansion on your left and stopped at rt70... that house or shack was directly across the street.....thats y u didnt know what i was talking..i said 73...i meant 70 sorry......tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I remember that. I was there as a kid a few times exploring. I unfortuantly do not have a photo of it.

Guy

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
capttom, HI TOM, WELCOME TO THE GANG.........REREAD ONE OF CHARLTON BECKS BOOKS RECENTLY.............SPOKE OF PINE GROVE,OUTSIDE OF MARLTON,AND AN INDIAN VILLAGE SITE THAT WAS LOCATED JUST SOUTH OF IT ON THE TUCKERTON ROAD...........WOULD LOVE TO WANDER AROUND AND TRY TO PICK UP SOME ARROWHEADS.............AREA IS PROBABLY THE SITE OF A STRIP MALL THOUGH NOW...............I NOTE THAT A GOLF COURSE NEARBY IS CALLED INDIAN SPRING.............I WONDER IF THERE EVERWAS AN INDIAN SPRING THERE.........USUALLY SUCH NAMES DO HAVE SOME FOUNDATION IN FACT.........PRESS ON,KARL

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Karl,

The township bought the Savage farm property that the Indian village was on. It is green acres and they have soccer fields on it. So there will not be a strip mall on it fortunately.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Karl,

The township bought the Savage farm
Guy

Shall I tease you about the Savages? (Savich) :p
PS I'm part Lenape on my mom's side (way far back...) and part German on my dad's...my mom used to say we were savagekrauts. :rolleyes:
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea I saw that I had spelled it wrong, but was tired of fixing the many mistakes I keep making with that name. You would think that by now I would get it right. :bang:

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Yea I saw that I had spelled it wrong, but was tired of fixing the many mistakes I keep making with that name. You would think that by now I would get it right. :bang:

Guy

I was just pickin' on ya. I called it Savage too, remember? :p Call it Savage all ya want! :D

Renee