• IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 276

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So it is native to the Pinelands? If left alone, will this grow 8 feet ? :eek:

Well, the ones we had were in the Adirondacks, but I think it was introduced from elsewhere. Burpee sells the seeds. It appears it just about cures anything, but I don't think I'd use it instead of Charmin ;)

https://herbpathy.com/Uses-and-Benefits-of-Verbascum-Thapsus-Cid2841

Had 3 widow makers out back from the spring storms; took the one hanging over our shed down, waiting on the 2 big ones to come down naturally.

T

Toothy Critter

Lot's of things pop up there that don't grow in the pines. Probably local farm influence.

Oh you meant the plant, not the leaning tree...Duh. Well still Colliers Mills, which is every bit as Pines as it gets regardless of its northern fringe, but that plant grew among others right smack dab in the middle of a clearing in pretty much sugar sand. That's what made me curious. I am seeing things with a camera lens that I used to overlook with a fishing pole in hand so I never really noticed that plant before. It is quite interesting and I thought it looked out of place in a full blown Pines environment, but like I said, it may be all around but I just never noticed it. Almost looked like a succulent in the desert. 46er mentioned it, and I read, they can grow very tall. These were only a couple feet or so. That could be from 4 wheelers running over them but the roots regrow, or they were sowed not long ago. IDK I am ignorant of birds and flora, that's why I posted photos here and asked. I can give location if it is a rare item, or, not if its abundant and just my oversight. Interesting plant though, considering it cures everything from Roidskis to E D :cool:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Mullein is biannual.Produces the rosette of leaves the first year then the flower spike the second year. I"ve smoked it to break up chest congestion. Tobacco will do the same thing if you aren't already abusing it in which case it will cease to work the way it should. I have also heard of folks getting rash from wiping with the stuff.Always preferred the under side of scrub oak leaves myself but then again Toilet paper does beat anything you'll find in the woods

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Mullein is biannual.Produces the rosette of leaves the first year then the flower spike the second year. I"ve smoked it to break up chest congestion. Tobacco will do the same thing if you aren't already abusing it in which case it will cease to work the way it should. I have also heard of folks getting rash from wiping with the stuff.Always preferred the under side of scrub oak leaves myself but then again Toilet paper does beat anything you'll find in the woods
Good to know. I always wondered why it didn't grow back in subsequent years. I always let them go in my garden, I love them.

T

Toothy Critter

No, I"m sorry, I should have been clear. I did not mean the moth mullein was not pinelands, I meant all that green ground cover at the base of the broken tree is not really pines stuff.

Interesting. You obviously know your plants. Please elaborate. The tree is located on Hawkin Road, just before the Joint Base. I know the line between Colliers Mills and the Western Monmouth County farm landscape if very sudden. There is rich soil, crops, and horse farms on one side of a street just outside the WMA and sugar sand and scrub pine on the other side. Would be interested in your assessment, thanks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The state Bureau of Land Management also manages the WMA's for wildlife; Colliers is heavily used for Pheasant and Deer hunting in season. I used to hunt there but it has become much too crowded for me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting. You obviously know your plants. Please elaborate. The tree is located on Hawkin Road, just before the Joint Base. I know the line between Colliers Mills and the Western Monmouth County farm landscape if very sudden. There is rich soil, crops, and horse farms on one side of a street just outside the WMA and sugar sand and scrub pine on the other side. Would be interested in your assessment, thanks.

When I say pines, I mean undisturbed pinelands, like when you drive down 539 below route 70, or route 563, or 532 east of Nixons. You don't see a lot of broad shaped leaves in the pines, and like that grass by the tree, unless you have disturbed ground in the pines, you won't see that. I also don't see any ericaceous shrubs or pines or scrub oaks. And that broken tree, did you see what kind it is? It almost look like a shag bark hickory (which I truly doubt), but I don't see that bark in the pines. Even if it's white oak, white oak is not common in the heart of the pines.