Hello...is there anybody in there

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was at the township today. Notice the ETAL (and others). Things may be in great flux, and maybe NJCF does own it all, but I have to talk to the Tax Assessor tomorrow. She was not in.

Attachments

• etal.JPG
    etal.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 185

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
It's amazing how many errors or just odd stuff gets into the property tax records, like typos "Uational" for "National". And how can both lots 31 and 31X claim the same lots 7, 8, and 34 as "additional lots"? Won't the acreage in those 3 be counted twice?

Note that the 345 acre lot 31X has property class "15C", which means "public property". Yes, that makes it tax exempt, but there are other classes that are tax exempt too. Either the tax record definition of "public property" is different from what I thought, or my post above about NJCF property being private is totally wrong (likely). I just checked, and many NJ Conservation Foundation properties have class 15C. As do Audubon Society, and some others. The vast majority of class '15C' properties are state, county, township, or federal though.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It appears lot 7, the 'easement' road is also owned by the consortium.

info is from the Ocean County tax records site, there are 4 lots under this listing, 7, 8, 31 & 34.

Attachments

• Tax map pdf.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 222

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I talked to the Tax Assessor. She said that land was funded by Green Acres (hence the green acres sign), and the ownership is shared between National Biodiversity and New Jersey Conservation Foundation. But wait, there's more.

The application for the Green Acres grant money said it would be open to the public, and Green Acres has to periodically approve the exemption status (she thinks it's every 3 years), and they have been doing so.

There is a man living on that road that was complaining to the tax assessor that some groups (private hunters) were being allowed in there but others were not. In other words selectively opened when it was supposed to be open to all. She said she has to treat that as hearsay though. But she went on to say that she at one time had to force the owners via court to put proper signs on the property, and there was an effort to get them to create access. She denied their application for exempt status until they put markings up. Isn't it odd that the sign is hard to find?

I should now talk to Green Acres to pick up the final pieces.

It was clear that the building on the other side of the road is being visited by the public, and nobody likes that as it's dangerous and annoys the neighborhood.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From the info we have seen posted, NJCF manages the properties, yet they do not list it as one of their preserves. There is no guarantee that funding from Green Acres guarantee's public access. It would be nice to find the GA application.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I heard from Green Acres today:

"Block 89, Lot 7, 8, 31 and 34, Plumsted Township, Ocean County was funded by Green acres on 5/26/04. National Biodiversity Parks, Inc. received this funding through Green Acres file 15-03-08. So these lands are encumbered with Green Acres restrictions and must be open for public access."

T

Toothy Critter

The longer this goes on the more confused I get. But I don't care if I ever get to set foot on the property and catch a fish as long as this friendly discourse between Bobpbx and 46er continues. :) Its worth it. Bless you both

Reactions: bobpbx and 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I heard from Green Acres today:

"Block 89, Lot 7, 8, 31 and 34, Plumsted Township, Ocean County was funded by Green acres on 5/26/04. National Biodiversity Parks, Inc. received this funding through Green Acres file 15-03-08. So these lands are encumbered with Green Acres restrictions and must be open for public access."

Where does the NJCF fit into the puzzle? :worms:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Where does the NJCF fit into the puzzle? :worms:

Yes, it's odd. The Plumsted Tax assessor distinctly told me that the land was owned jointly between National Biodiversity and NJCF (the etal on the books). I have no idea why NJCF would want to be on the books like that. Possibly because they have land stewards throughout the state, and National may have none, so they wanted NJCF to manage the land and provide admin services. This is just a guess.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That's good. Confirmation in all ways. Nobody would get in serious trouble going in there unless I'm missing something.
I haven't seen anything that would indicate it is open to the public. It is not listed anywhere on the NJCF site. Note #3 under 'Applicant Eligibility';

'APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY
To qualify for grant consideration, the board of directors or governing body of an applying tax-exempt nonprofit organization must:

1. Demonstrate to the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection that it qualifies as a Charitable Conservancy for the purposes of P.L. 1979, c. 378 (C.13:8B-1 et seq.). The enclosed excerpt from that law defines a Charitable Conservancy, but applicants should obtain and review a copy of the entire law, as a compliance certification from each organization will be required as part of the application;
2. Demonstrate that it has the resources to match the grant requested. The nonprofit may use as its matching share, its own funds, a donation of all or a portion of the value of a project site, or any other public or private funding except as provided by, or through, the Garden State Preservation Trust;
3. Agree to provide public access, unless the Commissioner determines that public accessibility would pose an unacceptable risk to the land or its natural resources;
4. Agree not to sell, lease, exchange, or donate the lands except to the State, or local government unit, another qualifying tax exempt nonprofit organization, or the Federal government for recreation and conservation purposes (and then only with the prior written approval of the Commissioner); and
5. Agree to execute and donate to the State, at no charge, a conservation restriction or historic preservation restriction, as the case may be, pursuant to P.L. 1979, c. 378 (C.13:8B-1 et seq.) on the lands to be improved utilizing the grant. The conservation restriction and historic preservation restriction referred to in the law will be provided by Green Acres.'

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a great program Green Acres has been for the Garden State.

On page #2 it says: "Meaningful public access must be provided to every project funded under this program.

I'll be testing that. It bothers me that National Biodiversity cannot be reached by mail or telephone (wait a sec, maybe that's a good thing).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Critter, I spent the afternoon at Colliers Mills. There is definitely prime pine barren land there. I want you to hear me say that, because I don't want you to get the impression that I think all of it is like that first photo you posted.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Did you? Pass or fail?

I've been tied up on other plant projects, but it will be this year I go there, for sure. I know a guy who has the same botanical interests as mine, and I found out he's been there. This is what he said:

"I’ve been going to the NJCF jumping brook preserve since last fall. It is one of their preserves and is open to the public (although you would never know it from the posting; used to be a sign on the road marking the trail head but someone ripped it out). There’s a trail system (not well maintained) that runs around the numerous bog and reservoirs. Not too much exciting (botanically), but really the site is much like Whitesbog—mostly agriculture and little natural lands left. There is really no access by car nor no need to drive in since the walk in from the paved road is just a few minutes. NJCF has a entry point for their maintenance vehicles but that has a cable and the road system along the old dikes is tricky at best."

Reactions: manumuskin