Hello...is there anybody in there

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I parked along the chain link fence across the road and walked in on the clear piece next to the house when I visited some time back. No problem,, homeowner gave a friendly wave.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I parked along the chain link fence across the road and walked in on the clear piece next to the house when I visited some time back. No problem,, homeowner gave a friendly wave.

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'm sure that is the proper right of way.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Green Acres compliance officer kindly contacted me. I'm glad I raised the issue:

"Bob, I did visit the site right after you contacted us and saw exactly what you mean. What is now lawn used to be a pebble / crushed stone driveway back to the actual entrance. This is, unfortunately, a forgotten property. While it is open and available to the public its location and obvious lack of maintenance is not helping it be a desirable location to anyone but local ATV riders.

We will be reaching out to NJCF to see if they can sign the access drive and put the Green Acres, Biodiversity park and NJCF signs on the road to announce its presence.

If you do head back there, it used to be awesome. All the sand roads were easily walkable and the site is beautiful. If the local residents give you a problem please let us know. We will include that in the dialogue we will be having with NJCF."

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Green Acres compliance officer kindly contacted me. I'm glad I raised the issue:

"Bob, I did visit the site right after you contacted us and saw exactly what you mean. What is now lawn used to be a pebble / crushed stone driveway back to the actual entrance. This is, unfortunately, a forgotten property. While it is open and available to the public its location and obvious lack of maintenance is not helping it be a desirable location to anyone but local ATV riders.

We will be reaching out to NJCF to see if they can sign the access drive and put the Green Acres, Biodiversity park and NJCF signs on the road to announce its presence.

If you do head back there, it used to be awesome. All the sand roads were easily walkable and the site is beautiful. If the local residents give you a problem please let us know. We will include that in the dialogue we will be having with NJCF."
Awesome!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Ocean County Parks has a walk scheduled for the preserve on 10/31. From their fall program guide;

Jumping Brook Preserve Nature Walk
Join us as we explore one of the many properties acquired and preserved by the New Jersey Conservation Foundation. This Plumstead township site features numerous abandoned cranberry bogs, where we will search for vegetation and wildlife that are adapted to this unique Pine Barrens habitat. $6.00/person

Last edited:

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
Hello all,

This property is near and dear to my heart. I've been whining to anyone that will listen about the deplorable state it is in. Below is my last attempt in an email to the state. Sorry I'm late to the conversation but a friend mentioned folks were asking about the property in my hometown of New Egypt.

Project Name: Cranberry Canners Culvert Replacement
Project Duration: 11 days
Project Owner: Ocean County
Project Description: Replacement of Culvert

Lt. Governor and NJDEP Commissioner,
Respectfully I would like to share with you a New Years resolution of mine. To protect the NJ citizens from the current ongoing hazard of public funded Open Space at Cranberry Canners road, New Egypt NJ 08533-Jumping Brook Preserve. And to have the park fully open to the public as it is Green Acres funds that preserved the location of New Jersey's first cannery for Cranberry Sauce for passive recreation.
A short timeline of events; Nov 2014 notified New Jersey Conservation Foundation (NJCF) about my safety concerns, Jan 2015 notified Plumsted Township Mayor and township committeemen, Sep 2015 contacted Assemblyman Ron Dancer and notified him of the lack of management and water control measures at the NJCF partner preserved park called Jumping Brook Preserve. That email communication is below. The above image is what the tax payers paid for the poor management of the 100 plus acres of old cranberry bogs which caused the culvert on Cranberry Canners road to give way in my opinion. Bids started back in 10/7/2015 when Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders approved the Plans and Specifications for the Replacement of Cranberry Canners Culvert (Structure No. 1523-016). You can read about the $200,000 project here.

The second photo is the first washed out culvert the hiker is greeted with about a 100 feet into the NJCF red trail. I hope this email gets through your firewall and the images aren't stripped as they show the degree of degradation the water erosion has caused. I'm blind copied multiple NJDEP agency leads hoping this gets the right attention as I have failed to get the location re-mediated on my own since 2014. I have great video of rain water running two feed deep down the hiking trail and a picture of each culvert that is washed out worse than the 1st one each visitor is greeted by. Hopefully no one will fall and get injured before we can bring this issue to a safe resolution.
Contact me for a video and dozens of other photos that show the deplorable state of this Green Acres funded property in New Egypt New Jersey. I will happily give anyone a tour of the property and or share publicity photos.
Unsafe and damaging the property:
  • Over a quarter of a mile of hiking trail is flooded from adjacent cranberry bog
  • Crossing over any of the dikes which is needed to hike the trail that crisscrosses each of the old cranberry bogs is dangerous. Each of the dikes are blown out by improper maintenance or no maintenance
  • Downed trees along the entire public entrance where also you find part of the trail is washed out and the hiker has to jump over the cement piping
  • No trail map over signage depicting overview of property at entrance

Reactions: Boyd

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
By the way I have years of photos showing the trail erosion and destruction. And email after email to authorities over this property which my great grandparents lived for a period of time in a shack with no electric ages ago. I was waiting for Gov Murphy to bring back the Public Advocate position at this point.

Attachments

• 2015-02-12_134426.jpg
    2015-02-12_134426.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 209

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This property is near and dear to my heart. I've been whining to anyone that will listen about the deplorable state it is in.

Might contact NJCF(New Jersey Conservation Foundation) as they appear to be the managing organization of that property. Good luck.

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
It was advertised as a preserve on the township map. Note that it also advertises a hiking trail. It all just makes for an interesting mystery.

The organization that I founded created that map not the township. And that property is open to the public as it was purchased with Green Acres money.

Reactions: Boyd

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
Might contact NJCF(New Jersey Conservation Foundation) as they appear to be the managing organization of that property. Good luck.

They wont do anything I've met with two different directors onsite of the property. I'm saving up for a lawyer. IF anyone has any questions about the site or needs a guide let me know. I love to show people the property.