Help - Advise Needed

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I have gotten fairly serious about taking pics while out and about. I have a Cannon Rebel XSi with a 250mm and the 55mm that came wit hthe camera. I have gotten some great, albeit in my own estimation, shots and some washed out looking ones. I have been looking at the photos in the gallery and I am guessing some have been color enhanced or have some added special effects. What software do you folks use? I haven't created an album in the gallery as of yet...but will soon. thanks for any advise or help.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would have to say that many of the members who's photo's you enjoy use filters.

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
You can get Photoshop Elements fairly cheap. I use ACDSee which you can find an old version of (for free) at oldversion.com.

I also just started tone mapping single photos using 'qtpfsgui' (free also). EXAMPLE

I only use filters for an intended purpose, like a circular polarizing filter or an ND filter.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What software do you folks use? I haven't created an album in the gallery as of yet...but will soon. thanks for any advise or help.

I've tried several products and used to use Pixmantec's RawShooter the most, but with Adobe's purchase of RawShooter and subsequent release of LightRoom several years back I have moved everything to that. I tend not to like to spend too much time on the computer working on pictures. For me, LightRoom is the easiest and most effective in the editing, protecting and organizing of those images. The key features is that it is non-destructive, that is, it does not change your image file, you always have your original, and there are many presets available that, once set to your desires, do the work automatically for you. There is also an extensive user community for help and techniques. Adobe offers a 30 day free trial. IMO, anyone looking for new software might want to take a look.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Sep 2, 2009
Seaside Park
I have just gotten into photography myself and I agree with 46er that Adobe Lightroom is excellent program. It is powerful, yet easy to use. I would take 46er’s advice and when Lightroom 3 is released (probably in the next couple of weeks), try the 30 day trial of it.

If you do decide to buy it (or any software for that matter) you can save a substantial amount of money by purchasing it as educational software. It is the same software you would buy in the store but they give discounts to students and facility. Adobe Photoshop CS 5 lists for about $800 but can be purchased as educational software from JourneyEd (see the link below) for $ 179.95. There are a number of other websites that offer educational software as well. This could save you a substantial amount of money in the future.

Good luck with the camera. I have the Cannon Rebel XSI and I love it.

http://www.journeyed.com/

ptyler

Apr 22, 2010
Bayville
I use Picasa - free download from google. For free I think it is a simple-to-use, fairly inclusive program. I have tried to use gimp and adobe products, but for me the easier the better!