Help ID this pine tree.

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I was showing my dad the Sibble Shaler grave, behind Egg Harbor City Lake. (after I took him to see Nash's cabin, near Calico) On the edge of the woods, right near the grave there are some tall (relatively speaking) pine trees. The tree SORT OF resembles Pitch Pine, but not really. And it's definitely not White Pine. The cones are similar to those of Pitch Pine, but more elongated compared to Pitch Pine cones. From what I've read in Boyd's field guide and Stone's book it's not native to the Pine Barrens. So now I'm looking through my more general field guides to see what I can find. Like I said, Boyd and Stone don't list any trees like these that I found. Any guesses?
Thanks,
Barry
P.S.- my wrists hurt now from so much typing. :)

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Update

Well, nobody seems to ever read this section of the Pine Barrens message forums. This question only received 3 hits and no replies in 24 hours. That's bad.
Using my various books on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that these trees must be Old Field Pine, Pinus taeda, (AKA Loblolly Pine). This is based on size and shape of the cones, and also the size and height of the trees themselves.
In 1910 Witmer Stone reported only 2 known locations of Pinus taeda in NJ, but that's what these trees must be. There's no other species they can be that I can find. This is very interesting. Actually it's quite exciting to find some Pines in the woods that aren't Pitch Pine.
Also today I went back and looked at them again and took some good pictures of them. Some of them are quite large, and they are beautiful trees.

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Update

Sorry Barry, I didn't notice the activity in this part of the forum either. It does sound like you've found a Loblolly. They have been found in quite a few more locations since Stone's work, so it would not be too unusual to find one.

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Update

These Loblolly Pines are in an APPARENTLY wild state, but probably aren't actually growing wild there. They were probably planted a very long time ago. There are many of them there and nearby there are some foundations and cellar holes. They are nice looking trees and it's interesting to see them there among the Pitch Pines, which are also relatively tall, and straight.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Update

It's good to find tall trees, Barry, and find the different kinds of them in the Pine Barrens.

Walking south on the Batona Trail from Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower, the trail is skirted by stands of tall (for the Pine Barrens) trees. There are also some good size clearings in between. This mosiac is very interesting and aesthetically pleasing.

By the way, Barry, don't worry about people not reading or posting right away, buddy. People, like myself, have other things to do and sometimes are just too tired to read or post. Sometimes I'll just read a few posts and catch up later. We're enthusiasts, not fanatics (or tree huggers). (I'd post a smilie, but I don't know how).