Help -- I'm stuck ! $$$$

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I was trying to get into my property with my non 4 wheel van and got stuck halfway into it. It is somewhat muddy where I am and Ground was real soft and soggy.

Anyway if someone has an old 4 wheel drive and would like to make some money pulling me out either tonight or tomorrow my cell # is 570-460-4181.

I have contacted a few other persons I know but no one is available now.

First time in 20 + years that I have been stuck.

Anyway its a great day in the east plains.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Sorry Mike, but my Bronco is out of commission at the moment. If Bob can't get you out have Bob call me, I have some recovery equipment that will definitely get you out as long as we can anchor it to Bob's truck or something big (pygmy pines won't cut it).

Jeff

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for all the offers of help. Would have replied arier but could not get online for some reason.

Anyway still stuck and getting deeper.........a friend came by with a four wheel drive although he was on dry side he could pull me out.

Will now have to find an alternative method seeming large jacks and another method to be pulled out winch, etc.

So........looks like I'll be here for awhile.

Will get another truck down here by late tomorrow and get some large jacks and wood. Water table is so high, water has been running across road for weeks and truck is sinking in on what appeared to be fine till I turned off the road once stuck water just came up.

Thanks for all offers of help looks like for the first time in 25 years I am stuck but good.

However, the sounds of the East Plains easily help me sleep.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Bit of a thread jack, but speaking of stuck I happened to just drive by a site where a guy with a Hummer was trying to pull a loaded semi out of a mud hole, up a slight dirt incline. He had two yellow straps hooked up. Now, a loaded semi is in the neighborhood of 60k pounds. Typical breaking strength on the normal towing strap is 15k - 25k pounds. You can get stronger ones, but he didn't have them. I know this because just as we drove by one of the straps broke and took out the Hummer's rear window.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have expected a Hummer to be able to pull that hard, so maybe the strap had a tear in it or something.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was nice meeting you today Mike. I am so sorry I could not help. If I had known you were going to call someone to do what you did today, I could have been there earlier and taken you. I was in that area 3 hours before I ran into you. Anyway, tell your wife I said hi. She seemed surprised when I said your name :)

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I stopped in there today. He is 70-80% of the way out. Just waiting on some plywood to arrive.

Of course we heard gun shots a few minutes after I arrived and he went to chase them off...

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Bit of a thread jack, but speaking of stuck I happened to just drive by a site where a guy with a Hummer was trying to pull a loaded semi out of a mud hole, up a slight dirt incline. He had two yellow straps hooked up. Now, a loaded semi is in the neighborhood of 60k pounds. Typical breaking strength on the normal towing strap is 15k - 25k pounds. You can get stronger ones, but he didn't have them. I know this because just as we drove by one of the straps broke and took out the Hummer's rear window.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have expected a Hummer to be able to pull that hard, so maybe the strap had a tear in it or something.

hummer owners are hilarious, they think they own a tank. I made many a hummer owners angry when I was making it everywhere they were with a stock nissan pathfinder on some good tires.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
hummer owners are hilarious, they think they own a tank. I made many a hummer owners angry when I was making it everywhere they were with a stock nissan pathfinder on some good tires.

They are one of the most frequent vehicles pulled off the beach at IBSP. I guess they didn't come with the common-sense option. :rolleyes: My son used to love getting them unstuck. He helped one guy get unstuck 4 times in one day.

Don't see many on the beach anymore

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I'm free to ride again.

Thanks to all concerned I greatly appreciate the assistance from everyone.

Once plywood was in place under the wheels and I filled in the quicksand I drove out of the spot backwards.

Internet connection and cell phone has been awful the last couple of days out here.

As far as the gun shots yesterday. I couldn't be sure where in the pit they were so I shouted out and they sped away in a blue blazer before I arrived. A forest fire truck was nearby but he didn't get license plate but did see the vehicle and heard the shots. Only lasted 10 minutes or less.

Again was good to meet.

Next time perhaps we can meet and have a bite to eat at my location.

Will let you know when.