Help on Applegate Sawmill

Lef_iv

Jul 9, 2017
Toms River
Thanks everyone for the info. Next week Im to meet with a historian at the Historical Society who has apparently done a great deal of work on forgotten sites in Ocean County. Im also to meet with a Applegate descendant so Ill post anything I learn. I have not been able to get out to look for the sawmill as the weather is just not good for me and my dog right now. If I find any traces of the old sawmill I will post the info. Joe
Hi Joe,
I've been stopping by a beach in Applegate cove the last few days and have found a few items slightly exposed that resemble tools from a sawmill. They've been exposed by tidal changes and within the perimeter of what seems to be some foundation and railroad ties placed evenly together.

Diablo2424

Scout
Sep 1, 2016
Shore
www.instagram.com
This thread is very interesting, I've been exploring Cattus Island for a few years now, as it is very close to where I live/grew up. I did not know all of the history that was there though!

I'm also wondering if there is any link of the Applegate Sawmill to the old Applegate Hardware store in Bay Head? My wife works in the old Applegate Hardware store, as it has now been turned into two retail spaces and a few smaller offices (soon, a finished second and third floor are going to be added by the current owners as their summer home). But I know there is a lot of history in that building, and it suspiciously has the same name...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lets see who came come up with this trivia question answer. There was an Applegate Gas Station located in Ocean County in the pines. Where was it located?

Lef_iv

Jul 9, 2017
Toms River
Did you ever find any artifacts at Cattus Island? One piece I have is definitely a very large gear to a sawmill. I can barely lift it myself. It must be in the 150# range, seriously. I tried to post a photo of it. I found it buried in the sand and have found photos that match it to cogs from sawmills in the late 1800’s.

Other items are railroad ties and spikes and some kind of tank that maybe was added later for hydraulic or compression.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Did you ever find any artifacts at Cattus Island? One piece I have is definitely a very large gear to a sawmill. I can barely lift it myself. It must be in the 150# range, seriously. I tried to post a photo of it. I found it buried in the sand and have found photos that match it to cogs from sawmills in the late 1800’s.

Other items are railroad ties and spikes and some kind of tank that maybe was added later for hydraulic or compression.
Where would they get the running water power for a sawmill on Cattus Island? Those two creeks look minuscule for the needs of a sawmill. I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious what your thoughts are. Tidal?