help with a hognose

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i live in millville and my eastern hognose wont eat anything but toads, (im aware thats its usual diet) but im having trouble finding any at pet stores, and im having trouble finding any toads in the wild.
is there anything else at all they will eat, ive tried pinkies, tadpoles, salamanders, everything, also maybe some hints on finding toads. thanxs

ps. has anyone seen many snakes yet, all ive seen is one garter, and that was weeks ago

:siren:

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
to my knowledge you should not own an eastern hognosed snake. for (feeding) and other reasons. do you have a permit for the animal??

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Hognose will feed mainly on toads, and rarely anything else...especially if it's a wild caught- if it is, it's best to let it go, hognoses are a species of speacial concern in the state, and it's illegal to own/harrass and molest any reptile or amphibian in that state...yes, even garters.

As of snake movement, on the warmer days yes. I already found 8-15 garters and one big water snake.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Hognose will feed mainly on toads, and rarely anything else...especially if it's a wild caught- if it is, it's best to let it go, hognoses are a species of speacial concern in the state, and it's illegal to own/harrass and molest any reptile or amphibian in the state...yes, even garters.

As of snake movement, on the warmer days yes. I already found 8-15 garters and one big water snake.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
NJSnakeMan said:
hognoses are a species of speacial concern in the state, and it's illegal to own/harrass and molest any reptile or amphibian in the state...yes, even garters.

Not true. It's not illegal to own a hognose snake, garter snake etc. in N.J.. It's illegal to "collect/take from the wild" such snakes. You can own most native snakes as long as they are not endangered or threatened within the state and you have documentation as to where they originated from. As far as getting the hognose to eat mice or something other than toads, yes it's possible but not easy if it's a wild caught snake. Your better off with a captive bred one thats already eating mice. Captive breds are also easier to to switch over to mice.:rolleyes:

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Collecting and Taking from the wild without a lisence is what I was referring to- I could of used better wording. I'm sorry if i'm mistaken, but while i was at Manumuskin somebody told me it's illegal to collect any snake in the state (even garters) without a lisence to do so.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
But the fact of the matter is, hognose snakes are hard to find as is.. and is best let go. And yes, hognose snakes are a canidate species in the state, meaning if nothing is done in the near future, it's a likely species to end up in the endangered/threatened list.

As of feeding the hognose snake, Yes it is possible to feed it mice/frogs or whatever, but probably is difficult and he's probably better off just getting a captive bred one that is already feeding on mice. He mentioned that he is having a hard time finding toads in the wild and petstore..... a hognose snake with no food = a dead snake.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
when we were about 13 my friend caught a hog nose in the pines.he had about ten snakes at home at the time. He had a hard time finding toads and after awhile it got sick and died.I think it is best to just leave the critters in the woods.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Wild animals belong in the wild, however do not release animals that have been in captivity, they could have diseases which could wipe out an entire population. As for feeding them fowler's toads they are also a species of concern in new jersey to my knowledge. Your best bet is the maybe find a wildlife rehabber to take care of it. Really the best thing to do is find out how to take care of a pet before you decide to purchase or collect one. Animals and reptiles in new jersey can't afford the pressure collectors put on them. Your probably not going to find alot of help on this website for taking care of a snakes. And I can say with 95% confidence no one on this site will diclose to were you can find fowler's toads, or any herp for the matter, especially since they may become a food source or pet. Sorry to sound like a ass hole, but this kind of thing strikes a CORD WITH ME. Try taking photos and studying them in there native habitat it is much more rewarding and gratifying then seeing them cramed in a glass aquarium with there face pressed up against the side.
Chris

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Your best bet is to attend one of the reptile shows in Pa. and aquire a captive bred western hognose if your interested in hognose snakes. They readily feed on mice.:cool:

NJHerper

Apr 8, 2006
2 far from the Pines
1 Option

I agree 100% - DO NOT RELEASE THAT ANIMAL!

You can easily transmit diseases to wild populations. Parasaite loads tend to be very heavy especially in captive E. hognoses because of their diets and confined environments.

I work for a zoological institution in NJ and can provide the right environment for your animal as well as the proper food as we already have an Eastern Hog in our collection and are looking for more for our native NJ animal programs/exhibtis. If you want, please send me an email and I will send you my contact info.

You should try getting a western hognose instead. They are much easier to work with with regards to their diets as they will readily eat thawed mice on most occasions. I can help you located a reputable breeder in NJ. Also be sure to get a captive born animal and the proper permits to keep them in NJ.

Good luck
D.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
thank you very much for your help, im going to make sure there are no mites or anyghing on him and let him go, i wasnt aware of there situation because there not on the endangered or threatened species list, thats the only snake i own from the wild, i assure you its not like i go around taking every snake i see, i know how important conservation of snakes is, i didnt know toads were in danger, i see tons of them in millville, thanks again