Herp brains? :) Can anyone identify this frog by its call?

ascariafraser

May 20, 2016
Franklin
Hi all! I recently moved into a house on a lake in the Pine Barrens, from the mountains of Pennsylvania. We have a cacophany outside and I have a handle on most id's but I don't know this little guy. At the tail end of the video -- I recorded this last night around 1 am (from my phone so you might have to turn your volume up).

thanks!

ascariafraser

May 20, 2016
Franklin
Maybe it's on my end, but had a hard time hearing anything. Only thing I could hear sounded like a whip-poor-will, which is a bird.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Whip-poor-will/sounds
Hi! Thanks! No, it's a clicking ... almost as if someone has two wooden hollow sticks with ridges on them and they are rubbing them together. (This is an actual musical instrument that I cannot recall the name of) ... I will try another bit. Thanks! I know. It sounds great on my phone and as soon as I upload anything the audio goes down the tubes.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a carpenter frog for sure as smoke_jumper correctly identified.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It is a carpenter frog for sure as smoke_jumper correct identified.
Are you saying the frog heard all the way through is a carpenter? If so I"d disagree with that or are you saying somewhere in the background you hear a carpenter which I do not but may be missing it.The Chorus frog actually starts out sounding like a cricket frog but sounds more chorus like as the video moves on. I hear no hammering at all.Could you give me the second mark where it occurs.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Are you saying the frog heard all the way through is a carpenter? If so I"d disagree with that or are you saying somewhere in the background you hear a carpenter which I do not but may be missing it.The Chorus frog actually starts out sounding like a cricket frog but sounds more chorus like as the video moves on. I hear no hammering at all.Could you give me the second mark where it occurs.

I hear it around the 2 second mark and 23 second. I also hear the bull frog around the 2-5 second. I thought the same as you I do hear the cricket/chorus frog during the entire length. Going by her her description I focused on the end of the video.
I might add that I heard this when I played it back on my I phone. Driving home yesterday it was hooked up to my blue tooth in my car. I figured I could hear it better through the car speakers. I was wrong, I could only hear the wipperwill and the cricket/chorus frog. I imagine we are all hearing it differently depending what we're listening through.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Ascariafraser, congratulations on the move! What I believe that you are hearing are Northern cricket frogs (Acris crepitans). Carpenter frogs have a deeper and more echoing "pa-tuck!" to them, and chorus frogs have a more sustained, rising call with a distinct clicking similar to running your fingernail up the teeth of comb.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The frog in question I believe starts at 21 seconds. You need full volume. I say it sounds like a carpenter.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Chilehead I"d agree they are cricket frogs after relistening to it.They sounded like crickets in the beginning and then faded to a chrus like sound but now I think their cricket all the way through.And at 21 seconds I think I do hear one hammer tap from a carpenter but it's at the edge of my hearing range which isn't as good as it used to be before putting the last six years in a glass factory.My hearing tests every year show a high range hearing loss.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
There are bullfrogs in the begginning, whipporwhils the clicking is cricket frogs and the noise that you think are carpenters mat also be wood frogs.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
There are bullfrogs in the begginning, whipporwhils the clicking is cricket frogs and the noise that you think are carpenters mat also be wood frogs.

Hey Dragon, wouldn't wood frogs be long done with their breeding season? My experience has been that their breeding activity is outright kaput by the second week of April at the very latest (most of the time by the end of March, at least up here).

Agree on the possibility of a leopard frog in the beginning. I've heard territorial calls from carpenter frogs that sounded like these too.

We have to get Whippoorbill out there with his recorder!

Reactions: manumuskin