herpetologists

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
I was just curious if anyone here was a certified herpetologist. I want to be a herpetologist and if any herpetologists could tell me what courses(how many years) would be nice. Also i've read up on it a little and most of what i've found didn't sound very optomistic for field research, what would the best job/way of being able to be in the field be(after i manage to actually become a herpetologist)

thanks

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Your looking at at least eight years of college for a degree in "herpetology". Your probably better off with a biology degree as that will get you into field work. Don't look to make big money as a herpetologist unless you use the degree to teach or manage an institution of some type or as a curator. Good luck.

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Unfortunately my college professor told me the same thing about the $$$ and being unemployed, but if you love what you do, go for it. Like most, I maintain the professional amatuer status by reading as many books as I can, field study and photography. Tribal knowlege from veteran field herpers can't be beat either, there are a lot of them out there.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
ya that sucks that theres not much money in it, i dont care about that, if i can earn a living off of it ill have to work 2 jobs. Can't let the money stop me. But ya, i just try and soak in as much info as possible. I also noticed that lots of people here are putting up pics of repitiles im very interested in the photography now. The biology degree sounds good to me, i heard that was a good way to go. Umm "swwit" you said eight years for a degree in herpetology, were you able to find somewhere with an actual class in herpetology. I'm not sure if there are any in the U.S, my best guess might be Florida, thats were i want to go to college. As far as reptile catching goes i've caught green snakes, brown snakes, garters, racers, ringnecks(southern i think) hognose, 5 line skinks, ground skinds, fence lizards, black ratsnakes, and i own 3 beutiful ball pythons, a gopher snake, two Golden geckos, and a pueblan milksnake its gorgeous, its got the patterns of a tricolor hognose. I want to catch a pine snake because there my favorite, i am trying to catch a venemous snake, and i dont know if a rattler is the best thing to start off with, there are supposed to be copperheads in new jersey, are there id rather start with them since there venom is less potent, ive got experience with snakes and i wanna catch something venemous

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Just remember,
Field collecting in New Jersey is illegal. You'd be better off with captive born pine snake anyway as their are several different morphs available. The pine barrens are awesome because the herpetofauna is unique this far north, following the coastal plain up from the south. Having been born and raised just across the river in Pa. South Jersey has been to me and many others a herp mecca and hopefully will be to many more as long as responsibility and natural stewardship is not forgotten.
Sorry for the rant.
Have fun and take lots of pictures.
kyle

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
snakehunter7 said:
Umm "swwit" you said eight years for a degree in herpetology, were you able to find somewhere with an actual class in herpetology. I'm not sure if there are any in the U.S, my best guess might be Florida, thats were i want to go to college.

I'm not sure where the best place to attend would be. Rutgers used to be good for herpetology. The professors name way back in the 70's to 80's was Daniel Wilhoft. I'm sure he's long retired by now. You may want to re-think your stand on the money aspect. If you like to herp as you say then it will take funds to travel. If you're working all the time with two jobs then when will you have any time to herp and have fun? Plus you need to look ahead as someday you will like to start a family and it would be a lot nicer to live comfortable rather than struggle. I'm not trying to discourage you from what you like. But you can still be active in herping without a degree in herpetology. Good luck to :) you.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Krloucks said:
Well said. Not everyone gets to be Jeff Corwin or Steve Irwin.
Headin out tomorrow for some viewing... wish me luck.
kyle

Good luck. I'll be out looking around within the next few days also. :dance:

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
I know well enough that i cant keep a pine snake, i love reptiles and wouldnt do something that careless, if im good enough i just may reach that fame, but i see what you guys are saying, and i at least want to be officially a herpetologist so i can hang it on my wall you know, even if i dont do it for a living professionally. Ill always be catching them, and thanks for the luck, ill be out there sometime over the weekend i think, gonna see if i can find that first pine snake and show you guys a pic.

see ya

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
snakehunter7 said:
I was just curious if anyone here was a certified herpetologist. I want to be a herpetologist and if any herpetologists could tell me what courses(how many years) would be nice. Also i've read up on it a little and most of what i've found didn't sound very optomistic for field research, what would the best job/way of being able to be in the field be(after i manage to actually become a herpetologist)

thanks

Snakehunter7:

I presume you're in high school; what are your plans for college?
As an avid life-long avocational herpetologist I can well relate to your interest in and enthusiasm for the scientific discipline of herpetology. It was my original goal (back in the 1950's) to become a herpetologist, but advice from several curators of reptiles (Roger Conant of the Philadelphia Zoo, Karl Kaufeld of the Staten Island Zoo, and Herndon Dowling and James Oliver of the Bronx Zoo) convinced me to maintain interest in the area while preparing for a profession that would provide a "living wage". As it happened , I became a veterinarian and a pathologist working in the area of diagnosis of and research on diseases of wildlife. That area provided many opportunities for field research in many parts of the world. Now retired, I wouldn't change a thing had I to do it all over again.

I'll have to admit that I'm uncertain what you mean by "... a certified herpetologist..." ?? As far as I know, the only "certification" of one's training in the area of biology with emphasis on reptiles and amphibians would be a graduate degree - a Masters or a Ph.D.

I'd suggest that after earning a B.Sc in Biology or Zoology you then pursue a graduate degree program leading toward a Master of Science or a Doctor of Philosophy degree with a research focus on a herpetological topic.

If your mind continues to be made up on herpetology, then have a serious look at the biology programs at Marshall University (Dr. Tom Pouley's Laboratory of Herpetology offers field research topics for undergraduate students) in Huntington West Virginia, as well as the graduate degree programs at Auburn University and the University of Alabama, both of which have turned out a number of outstanding Ph.D's based on herpetological research topics, many of which involved or have been based on field studies.

Whatever direction you ultimately decide to follow, I wish you the very best in pursuit of your dream.

Best regards,
David Graham (B.Sc., D.V.M., Ph.D.) ... and still fascinated by herps !

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
Yes, im 17, junior year, i greatly appreciate your advice. I was considering maybe zoology and maybe specialize in herpetology, so i could work for a university or something like that. I was thinking maybe venom samples, things like that. My plan right now was after saving up after high school to move to Florida, because the awesome reptiles, alligators, and i think it was the University of Florida that had a bunch of classes i was interested in. Also im aware that there are many people that may consider reptiles "pests" so i could move them out of houses as a relocation kind of business, and it seems like that state is the mecca for reptiles in the U.S. Now with pythons and Monitor Lizards.

Zoologist, Veternarian, and especially Herpetologist seem like the 3 ways i would go, hopefully Zoologist or Herpetologist, Zoologist can work with reptiles, and the way i look at it is that wheather its a Zoologist or a Herpetologist, the name doesn't matter as long as im working with the reptiles, you know.

So you were a Pathologist, did that involve lots of field work?

Once again that you for your advice

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
snakehunter7 said:
Yes, im 17, junior year, i greatly appreciate your advice. I was considering maybe zoology and maybe specialize in herpetology, so i could work for a university or something like that. I was thinking maybe venom samples, things like that. My plan right now was after saving up after high school to move to Florida, because the awesome reptiles, alligators, and i think it was the University of Florida that had a bunch of classes i was interested in. Also im aware that there are many people that may consider reptiles "pests" so i could move them out of houses as a relocation kind of business, and it seems like that state is the mecca for reptiles in the U.S. Now with pythons and Monitor Lizards.

Zoologist, Veternarian, and especially Herpetologist seem like the 3 ways i would go, hopefully Zoologist or Herpetologist, Zoologist can work with reptiles, and the way i look at it is that wheather its a Zoologist or a Herpetologist, the name doesn't matter as long as im working with the reptiles, you know.

So you were a Pathologist, did that involve lots of field work?

Once again that you for your advice

Looks like you and me are on the same page... I'm also moving out to Florida when I get out of highschool with my girlfriend and her parents.. and was also considering applying at university of florida. I forget what the exact percentage was but i think it was around 60-70% who apply get in, so get good grades now.

Does Stockton or Rutgers have any herpetology classes?