Hessian Island and a marker near by with initials JB

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if they meant an island in the midst of a swamp. That's pretty common, and places only some would go to.

I have been there Bob and it is an upland around wetlands. An island as we would call it.

Reactions: bobpbx

Jungle Jim

Feb 1, 2021
Virginia, USA
Oh, the plot thickens. Well, not a plot per se but the possibilities. I bet you knew that New Jersey before it was the glorious NJ we know today was split in two? Three different lines over a short period of time were used to split the land into East and West Jersey. But did you know the land was given by the Duke of York in 1664 to Sir George Carteret and John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton. Carteret got the West and Berkeley got the East (least how I read it on Wikipedia).
So is the marker with the letters JB one of the disputed lines dividing the state into East and West Jersey? JB for John Berkeley the 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton who from all accounts was full of himself. The Thornton Line is a boundary line or partition line surveyed in 1696 that runs nearest the area of this marker.
Thorton Line- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornton_Line#/map/0

Interesting, never knew that. Apparently John Berkeley was the older brother of William Berkeley, the governor of Virginia who was involved in Bacon's Rebellion.