Hi folks

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
I've been lurking around here for a few days and figured I'd go ahead and register. There is some great stuff on this site! I grew up in north jersey, but spent all my summers near LBI (hence the name :D ) and now I'm back. I have always been interested in the pine barrens, reading "Iron in the Pines", stories about the Jersey Devil and Batsto, etc.. During my years in the south (in Columbia, SC, then Savannah, GA) I picked up blacksmithing and did some work restoring an old steam locomotive. Actually, the engine was built in Patterson in 1913..funny how things come around, huh? Needless to say all that just served to further pique my interest in the bog iron towns, and added a curiosity about the railroads around here.
Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself.

Rob

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Hello Rob,

I'm also from North Jersey. I haven't heard that description (shoobie) in quite sometime. I remember hearing the term Benny used quite a bit.

If you're looking for information on trains in Southern NJ then you should purchase a book called "Trail of the Blue Comet"

The West Jersey National Railway Historical Society offers this book as well as some other books on trains that ran in Southern NJ

http://www.nelliebly.com/westjersey/wjbooks.htm#comet

Here's a good site on the CNJ's southern division:

http://www.thebluecomet.com/cnjsoudiv.html

Welcome

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Welcome Shoobie. The only place I hear that term is a cartoon called
"Rocket Power". You have found a home here, and you are more then welcome. Yes, it is funny how things go in full circle, but I guess that is life in general...Sue..

opineonthepines

May 24, 2004
new jersey
Hi Everyone -

I, too have been checking this site for while as a guest. Lots of good info. here (I swear I'm not affiliated with Weird NJ!). Seriously, I grew up in Medford, NJ, and have been a PB enthusiast since I was a teen. Got it from my Dad, mostly, who really is one of the most knowledgeable people I know (at least) on the PB. We are members of PPA and do much hiking/exploring. I live up in Hunterdon County now, and luckily, my husband is also a hiker and really likes exploring the pines. He's a north jersey transplant, too, and is just blown away by the flora and fauna of the area.

Anyhoo, my name is Renee, and I've noticed that I share the name with someone else on the board. Same spelling, too. Cool.

Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
i lived on lbi for six years...just moved off the island...but i work in barnegat light as a commercial fishing boat captain...i hear the term shoobie all the time.....for those who dont know where it came fromits referring to the box lunches they used to give to the tourists on the train that used to run to lbi....from what i hear you could walk on the beach back then and tell the shoeboxes....which is what shoobie is short for....because they would be eating there lunch out of the shoebox.......benny is used more in central and north jersey...not sure where that phrase came from though.......anyone???.......tom

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
I never heard about the shoeboxes, everyone always said it was because the tourists wore shoes on the beach. Of course all I ever saw of the trains on LBI is the restaraunt in Surf City. "Bennie" came from the fact that the tourists are beneficial to the economy, or so I've heard. While we're on the subject, there are WEB's as well, weekend b@#$%#&s (ok, not the raciest of terms, but kids might be looking :D ).
Mike, most of the work that I've done is ornamental. I've made a few knives, but no armor. Actually the most difficult work that I've done has been flowers. You look at, say, a daffodil and think "sure, I can do that". Five hours at the forge and partway through you think "wow, it looked kind of easy...".

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
capttom said:
i lived on lbi for six years...just moved off the island...but i work in barnegat light as a commercial fishing boat captain...i hear the term shoobie all the time.....for those who dont know where it came fromits referring to the box lunches they used to give to the tourists on the train that used to run to lbi....from what i hear you could walk on the beach back then and tell the shoeboxes....which is what shoobie is short for....because they would be eating there lunch out of the shoebox.......benny is used more in central and north jersey...not sure where that phrase came from though.......anyone???.......tom

Benny stood for the usual places that people came from when visiting the shore.

(B)ayonne/(E)lizabeth)/(N)ewark/(N)ew (Y)ork=Benny

I also heard the same story for Shoobie.